PDA

View Full Version : Turn decision with bottom two pair

Dan Rutter
07-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Second level blinds are $15-30. I am in the BB with $1,740 in chips and am dealt 8s 4s. The PF action folds to the SB($1,560) who completes. I have noticed nothing particular about this opponent yet, and have not played with him in the past to my knowledge.

I check.

Flop comes Ts 4h 8c

SB bets $90, I elect to call.

Turn comes Kh
I bet $250 in to the $240 pot. I did this in attempt to look like I was just trying to overbet the pot, to pick it up with bottom pair or another marginal holding. He raises me to $700, so it is $450 for me to call. Whats my action?

Dan Rutter
07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
anybody?

USCSigma1097
07-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Dan,

This is one of those situations where you are either way ahead, or drawing dead.

He may have a set, or possibly k 10. I don't think he has the set because I don't see him throwing out that size bet on the flop. Most players are going to slowplay a set heads up. The fact that you call his flop bet, and then raise his turn seems to scream that you have a good hand, but yet he reraised you which screams even louder that he has a better hand. I think in this situation you are behind at least 80 percent of the time. If you are still ahead, he has six or eight outs to beat you on riv depending on what he holds. I think I let this one go, as you still have a nice stack and blinds are still really low.

IMO, fold.
Sigma

USCSigma1097
07-10-2005, 07:10 PM
By the way, you are not necessarily drawing dead...but you could be.

Sorry, but I didn't want to get flamed.

Sigma

Rickyroodido
07-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Whats the buyin?

I think its a mistake to call on the turn. I would play 2pair fast.
But since you chose only to call the flop, and was planning to induse a raise (or call) on the turn by betting out you have to follow throu. You are contradicting yourself otherwise. The way you put it your decision is simple: you wanted to trap your opponent, you did so, and now you have to call.

rydazzle
07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
re-raise on the flop - 2 pair is great until counterfitted, plus you have no info. you are most likely ahead here, get your money in there.

Maybe I am not following your 250 bet reasoning. You said you wanted to make it look like an overbet. I think your opponent read your overbet and re-raised. According to your original plan, isnt this a good thing? btw, I am not suggesting you are ahead on the turn, I have no idea - this is why I would have re-raised on the flop.

Dan Rutter
07-10-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
re-raise on the flop - 2 pair is great until counterfitted, plus you have no info. you are most likely ahead here, get your money in there.

Maybe I am not following your 250 bet reasoning. You said you wanted to make it look like an overbet. I think your opponent read your overbet and re-raised. According to your original plan, isnt this a good thing? btw, I am not suggesting you are ahead on the turn, I have no idea - this is why I would have re-raised on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I should have probably raised on the flop as well. That was my thinking with the overbet, but once he shoved over half his stack in I was not too sure it was a good thing.

rydazzle
07-10-2005, 08:06 PM
what was the result?

Dan Rutter
07-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I ended up calling, and then I called a $400 bet on the river when a 3rd heart came. He had K 8. I am just not sure about the hand. I should have raised that flop. But once I overbet on the turn, I kind of got the result I was hoping for. He raises my possible steal. There are plenty of players who would have led that flop with something like KJ, or K9, and then check-raise the turn, but I was probably giving the opponent too much credit for a 20+2. I should have thought it is still early, I still have a good stack, and this person is likely not thinking about what my overbet could mean. Also when a third heart comes out he would likely not bet anything I can beat. So, I do not think I played the hand very well. I was left with around $300, and ended up in 2nd place though.