PDA

View Full Version : More Road Courtesy

The Dude
07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Often when you pass a truck on a 2 lane highway, the trucker will get way over into the shoulder on the right to help you pass. (They usually don't slow down, they just pull way over.) I think this is a wonderful act of courtesty, and once I'm a bit ahead of them I always tap my brakes twice to say 'thank you.'

Spending 3 years in SoCal away from anything resembling a two lane freeway, I had forgotten about this. When I did this yesterday, I realized I had missed a couple chances to do it in the past month.

Anyway, the trucker flashed his lights at me to say 'you're welcome,' and we went our merry ways. Anybody else do this? Anbody never heard of it but will start now that they know?

SomethingClever
07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I'll just wave.

And refrain from releasing an oil slick a la Spy Hunter.

wacki
07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else do this? Anbody never heard of it but will start now that they know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, yes I do this. I worked for a moving company in highschool and ALL OF THE TRUCKERS flash their lights.

When they let you pass, do the same.

swede123
07-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I usually acknowledge this courtesy by waving my arm so the guy can see it through my rear view window. I agree it's nice when truckers do this.

Swede

lucas9000
07-10-2005, 02:41 PM
on the flip side, if a trucker passes you, it's courtesy to flash your lights when the back of the trailer has cleared your car, so they know they're clear to get over.

The Dude
07-10-2005, 02:46 PM
lucas, I'm having trouble with your hypothetical here. Do I have a flat tire? Am I in the process of pulling over to the side of the road? I don't understand.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-10-2005, 02:49 PM
I didn't know this, but thanks, I'll do this from now on.

joecash
07-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Why does the truck need to pull "way" over? Are these roads that narrow? I can easily pass any vehicle on the road.

The Dude
07-10-2005, 04:32 PM
It's not that the roads are too narrow. It helps in two ways. First, it helps you pass sooner. Since the truck is coming around the corner first, he can see earlier if there will be an opportunity to pass, so often you can see him getting over to the side before you can see if there are cars coming the other way (or if you don't know the area, if there's a passing zone around the corner). Also, you don't have to get as far around to the left or wait as long to get back into your lane, which means you don't need as much room to pass. Also, it's a clear message to those behind the truck. This never matters when it's just me because I always pass every opportunit I get, but when ther's a line of 3 or 4 or 5 cars behind the truck, nobody takes any time deciding whether to pass or not if the truck is on the shoulder. It's frustrating when you're 3rd in line to pass and the cars in front of you hesitate and then get in the lane. I have missed many opportunities because of the hosers in front of me.

And finally, it's a courtesy thing. It's nice to know that the truck driver realizes he's slowing me down and wants to help me pass him.

ilovemyZ
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lucas, I'm having trouble with your hypothetical here. Do I have a flat tire? Am I in the process of pulling over to the side of the road? I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

To apply what lucas said, I think a better scenario would be if you are letting a truck over in medium to heavy traffic. You flash your lights to let the truck know he's clear, and he should flash his trailer lights back to thank you.

Larimani
07-10-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on the flip side, if a trucker passes you, it's courtesy to flash your lights when the back of the trailer has cleared your car, so they know they're clear to get over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this situation occurs there are two possibilities:
a) Go to the nearest car dealer & get a new car.
b) Stop being such a pussy and stamp on that accelerator.

Peace