PDA

View Full Version : Golf Science - Flyers

RacersEdge
07-10-2005, 02:06 PM
I pretty much understand the basic physics behind the act of hitting a golf ball - except one - the "flyer".

A "flyer" happens when you are in thcker grass - the ball is usually sitting up a little bit - and according to common explanantions - grass gets between the clubface and the ball casuing the ball to go farther than it would normally go from a regular lie.

It seems to be if the grass is preventing the grooves of the face from gripping the ball, there would be less spin, less lift, and therefore less distance.

But I've hit flyers, so I know they do go farther, so they do exist.

Can anyone explain the phyics of a flyer?

edtost
07-10-2005, 04:22 PM
less spin + less loft = more distance, for almost all clubs. (drivers + low irons likely have little enough loft to be close to optimal already.)

DCWildcat
07-11-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to be if the grass is preventing the grooves of the face from gripping the ball, there would be less spin, less lift, and therefore less distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Lift" shouldn't change all that much based on lie. Less spin means more distance, however. All shots hit with irons have backspin (the higher the iron, the more spin). The grooves aid this spin. Without the grooves' effect, there is less backspin, and subsequently more roll (and distance).

DCWildcat
07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Remember that when you hit the ball with an iron, you're hitting down on it, "clipping" it up, not "pushing" it up. If you're a pool player, think of a masse shot.

RxForMoreCowbell
07-11-2005, 02:08 PM
My understanding of this is that a flyer lie can result in the trampoline effect. You do catch "ball first" but because there is dense grass beneath the ball, you compress that grass like a spring or a trampoline, and when the ball leaves your clubface it has both the force from your club and the release from the grass lift the ball, causing it to go farther than a normal shot.

This would also explain why you hear about flyer lies more on southern courses that use Bermuda grass, which tends to be thick and wiry.

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I wonder if the trampoline effect might be right, but from the grass between the ball and clubface causing the increase of the trampoline effect- or the official name of coefficient of restitution (COR).

It would explain it, because your not losing loft here - or getting more roll. The ball goes very high and just carries a long way.

edtost
07-11-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because your not losing loft here - or getting more roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

very often, you DO get more roll, though.

ThreeMartini
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I've hit many a flyer--cause I can't keep it(the ball) in the shortgrass. A flyer happens when the grass gets
between the ball and the clubface, thus reducing backspin (controlled by friction). The ball is launched higher and farther without backspin which also increases yardage.