PDA

View Full Version : Should I have got a ruling?

TheRonin
07-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I was recently took my first trip to atlantic city where I was playing inside a B&M cardroom for the first time. Like most people nowadays i've got a ton of experience on playing on the net but very little playing live and even less playing B&M. Heres my question.
I was playing a $200 tourney at the Tropicana. Seems like we were about 15 hands into the tourney when I picked up AA in seat 1. I said "I'm all in" and push my stack toward the middle of the table. Action follows fold, fold, seat 4 states raise and tries to put in a raise 3x the BB, at that point the rest of the players at the table inform him that i moved all=in in front of him. He said "oh i didnt hear him and pulled his chips back and mucked his hand. The tourney went on and it really never dawned on me to say anything about it.
So should I have called for a floor man and got a ruling. In hindsight I think they shoulda made the guy play the hand. Its not my fault he wasnt paying attention or that the poker room is loud. IMO. What would have been the ruling here?
Thanks to all.

mosch
07-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Generally if a player is unaware of a raise, they're allowed to to take their money back and muck.

Asking for a ruling would've been a nitty angle shoot anyway, since obviously the guy had no intention of re-raising you.

handsome
07-10-2005, 03:18 PM
If he announced RAISE, you should have gotten a ruling.

Percula
07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
If you go strictly by the rules, verbal declarations are binding and the dealer should have made him raise your bet or as close to it as possible.

The problem comes from dealers/floor/players that are used to playing ring games where the normal thing to do is let the player take his action back because he had his head out the window. But in a tournament that is not the case.

You may have PO'ed some people, but yes I would have called the floor and asked for his hand to be played as he declared it. I can assure you if you say "raise" in a big tournament and try to pull it back, you are not going to get it done.

mmmmmbrother
07-10-2005, 04:35 PM
why would you push with aces 15 hands into a tourny

chesspain
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asking for a ruling would've been a nitty angle shoot anyway, since obviously the guy had no intention of re-raising you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipr777
07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
It apparent you have no experience with tourney play. When a player in a tourney says raise, it is a raise. No such thing as, "ooops, I didn't see his all in bet". TDA rules state that any chips that enter a pot must stay in the pot and verbal action is BINDING.

Bradyams
07-10-2005, 07:21 PM
It's obvious the guy didn't notice if he was trying to put in a 3xBB raise, so I would let it slide and not be a complete ass about the situation.

mosch
07-10-2005, 11:22 PM
It's apparent that I read that the guy put in 3xBB as he said Raise.

I really don't care what the TDA rules are, the player's intentions are extremely clear, and I don't want to win that way. Unless the dealer declares it binding, I'm fine with him taking his money back.

Of course I take a different tack than many of you, having long ago gave up calling string-raises on non-regulars, and routinely making the raise for them when string gets called by another player.

These occasional minor edges that I'm giving up are more than compensated by playing at a relaxed and cordial table.

If somebody called the floor on this one while I was at the table, I would pray as hard as I could to pokergod to witness a bad beat.

Chipr777
07-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I understand where your coming from but if someone says raise in a tourney it is a raise.