PDA

View Full Version : Point of no return

lou9182
07-10-2005, 12:26 PM
HI there. I have been playing on line poker for about a year now, and although I am far from the player I want to become, I feel my game is pretty solid. I have been playing mostly tournaments and the $5 snG's on UB. I am a patient player and I do have the restraint to sit back and really only play premiums pre flop (unless I can get a cheap one in a SB or BB). If I do play, I am agressive post flop and usually know when I'm beat. This being said, I find these games quite soft and honestly am in the money probably 7 out of 10 games. The ones I do not place in is not usually because of mistakes, but rather losing hands that I was ahead after all the money is in. My question to all of you is what level does the play get significantly tougher in the sng's. eg $10, 25, 50, 100? Also, if you could, explain what you mean by why you think it is tougher. I thank you all for your comments.

raptor517
07-10-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HI there. I have been playing on line poker for about a year now, and although I am far from the player I want to become, I feel my game is pretty solid. I have been playing mostly tournaments and the $5 snG's on UB. I am a patient player and I do have the restraint to sit back and really only play premiums pre flop (unless I can get a cheap one in a SB or BB). If I do play, I am agressive post flop and usually know when I'm beat. This being said, I find these games quite soft and honestly am in the money probably 7 out of 10 games. The ones I do not place in is not usually because of mistakes, but rather losing hands that I was ahead after all the money is in. My question to all of you is what level does the play get significantly tougher in the sng's. eg $10, 25, 50, 100? Also, if you could, explain what you mean by why you think it is tougher. I thank you all for your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

if u think yer itm 7/10, you will hate yer life forever when you realize how far off this is.

games start getting tougher every level, naturally. however, the biggest jump in difficulty is probably from the 55s to the 109s or the 109s to the 215s. tougher up there by a LOT. holla

lou9182
07-10-2005, 12:42 PM
"if u think yer itm 7/10, you will hate yer life forever when you realize how far off this is. "

Can you explain what you mean by this...Thanks

raptor517
07-10-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"if u think yer itm 7/10, you will hate yer life forever when you realize how far off this is. "

[/ QUOTE ]

the best player in the world would be VERY hard pressed to do itm 51% at the 10+1s. holla

eastbay
07-10-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He means you're not 7/10, or if you are, it's a small sample fluke that won't continue.

eastbay

lou9182
07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I completely agree with you and that is why i started to ask this question. If you play in the $5 games I can tell you right now...70% is not hard. These games are so soft. And I am not trying to brag or even say I am a great player, but I just wanted eveyones opinion on when the games get tougher. Iguess the best thing to do is just start trying bigger games.

eastbay
07-10-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with you and that is why i started to ask this question. If you play in the $5 games I can tell you right now...70% is not hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not hard, it's impossible.

eastbay

raptor517
07-10-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with you and that is why i started to ask this question. If you play in the $5 games I can tell you right now...70% is not hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not hard, it's impossible.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING. holla

lou9182
07-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Well I have only kept track of my last 40 $5 sng's. 18 thirds, 3 seconds, and 6 firsts. I hope it is not a fluke, but I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the opinions.

microbet
07-10-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

R.O.I= Rules Of Inquisition

There are 10 of them:

1. Ask what ITM and ROI are.
2. Ask if anybody makes a living playing SNGs
3. Ask if everybody agrees that you should, therefore, go pro
4. Ask if 27% ROI over your first 100 is good.
5. Ask if "this" (insert your favorite difficult decision with aces preflop) is a good example of when you should fold aces preflop.
6. Ask how to change the size of your SNG screens.
7. Ask how many SNGs you should play before you know what your ROI really is.
8. Ask if the $109s are really tougher than the $11s.
9. Ask how to play JJ UTG in level 1.
10. Ask how big your bankroll has to be in order to go pro.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask if 70% ITM is sustainable.
-------------------------------------

I know it seems that way to you now. Many of us, including myself, started out on a hot streak and doubted the conventional wisdom about what was sustainable.

Raptor and Eastbay have played thousands and thousands of these tournaments and they know.

45% ITM is very good in the $5 games. I would be surprised if anyone has played more than 1000 at over 50%.

Lots and lots of people have played 50-100 or whatever at 70%.

eastbay
07-10-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I have only kept track of my last 40 $5 sng's. 18 thirds, 3 seconds, and 6 firsts. I hope it is not a fluke, but I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a fluke. Play 500 and get back to us.

eastbay

adanthar
07-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Quite aside from this being a fluke, it sounds like you have real trouble playing ITM even at the 5's (unless you try to fold in a lot on the bubble which is even worse). Fix that ASAP, it's costing you far more money than anything else you do.

lou9182
07-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Ok...back at er'....I will see how it stands after a few hundred of these. Thanks for all the comments.

curtains
07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Where is citanul??

citanul
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
wow, i hadn't looked at the page for like 1 minute. jeebus. someone coulda hit the notify button.

where's citanul? locking this thread.

citanul