PDA

View Full Version : When to add to your Texas HE repertoire?

jmgurgeh
07-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd like to start studying and playing Omaha a little, but I'm not sure how far I should go with Texas Hold Em before I start adding other games. After I've beaten .50-1? After 1-2? Anytime I feel like it? Not until I'm solid at 5-10? Anyone who has advice on this, I'd love to hear it.

imported_metrognome7
07-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't think it's bankroll dependent, it's more a question of (a) keeping your overall interest in poker high and (b) improving your overall skillset. My background (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2831622&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1) is in Horse/Dealer's Choice games, and only in the last two or three years did I start to concentrate almost exclusively on NLTHE - I know, bandwagoneer. Since I've started to dabble in Omaha, 7stud, and other games again I've noticed two things: one, I have a lot more interest in poker in general, something that had begun to wane as I no long appreciated the "flop-turn-river" routine; two, my overall skills have improved as each individual game hones different abilities.

F*ck around on small limits, get a feel for it; you'll be better than probably half the people playing because you're a player.

jmgurgeh
07-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I have the bankroll to play Omaha at low limits from bonuswhoring, so that's not a problem. My only concern is sacrificing depth for breadth, and if I should hone my hold em skills to a certain point before branching out. My interest in poker is still high just playing THE, what with the different considerations for playing full ring games, shorthanded, and tournaments (NL cash is still scary).