PDA

View Full Version : What is Time?

toss
07-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I was looking through the Space, Time and Stephen Hawking thread and started wondering about the original poster's questions and conjectures. I think to have a satisfactory answer to his question we need to define what time is. For an object to travel through space time must pass right? What exactly dictates one moment in time from another moment in time? Einstein melded the three dimensions with that of time to form a space-time continiuum. This continiuum can be contorted by the four main forces that dictate this universe.

Still I don't know what time is. I looked it up, but the definition doesn't quite satisfy me. "A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future."

Here's my question. What is time?

daryn
07-10-2005, 09:57 AM
try to view time just like a 4th dimension, in addition to the 3 you are familiar with.

that was easy

FNHinVA
07-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time#Philosophy_of_time) .

We can chat later. (That is; within some duration of our mutual existence that will occur in the future... as defined by what a clock says. Noonish, say.)

toss
07-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the link. The most satisfying definition I found within the links was time as an ordering of various realities. The concepts of endurantists and perdurantist are really interesting too.

Zeno
07-10-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is Time?

[/ QUOTE ]

As every Capitalist knows well, Time is Money.

Pragmatism rules.

Now that that rudimentary question has been put to rest we can move on to more subtle matters, like the size of God's Buttocks.

-Zeno

toss
07-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Movement is not possible without time. We move to gain money. Money can be exchanged for goods and services. In short we move to satisy our needs and wants. Thomas Hobbes was right! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

drudman
07-10-2005, 12:02 PM
1. Women = Time x Money (premise)
2. Time = Money (premise)
3. Women = Money^2 (1,2)
4. Money = sqrt(evil) (premise)
5. Women = [sqrt(evil)]^2 (3,4)
6. Women = Evil (5)
QED

toss
07-10-2005, 12:05 PM
nh but I remember seeing this somewhere a while back.

drudman
07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nh but I remember seeing this somewhere a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely not original.