PDA

View Full Version : I normally don't ask for post flop advice, but...

Newt_Buggs
07-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t1030)
CO (t975)
Button (t1000)
SB (t950)
Hero (t1000)
UTG (t2095)
UTG+1 (t1000)
MP1 (t950)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t50, Hero calls t45.

Flop: (t180) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t125</font>, SB folds, hero?

$55, no reads
I'm assuming that some would not have played this the same as me. In addition the predicament that I got myself in, who folds pf, who bets out instead of checking, and why?

lastchance
07-10-2005, 03:40 AM
I probably call here, and I also bet the flop because my hand is good, but I really want those 6-outers to fold or pay for their draws, or the flush people. I make t150 on the flop. Given the bet, I think you should check-raise here.

microbet
07-10-2005, 03:42 AM
I bet out. You don't want to give free cards to a draw or to overcards. I also don't really want to let AK or AQ make an easy continuation bet. If he has JJ+ or trips, he'll probably let you know by min-raising. It will be a bit confusing if he pushes, but that's not super likely.

Newt_Buggs
07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
My main concern with betting out was that many of the hyper aggressive $50 players would come over the top with any two, but I don't know if many of them have the guts to do that. The villain is most likely on JJ+,AQ+, so do you think that this flop can still be played profitably out of position?

microbet
07-10-2005, 02:36 PM
You put him on that tight of a range because he raised preflop?

If you are worried about a bluff, I'd worry more about checking and inducing a bluff.

Matt R.
07-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I think leading out is the best play. I've played very few $50+5's, but if you bet out for t150, would that many players really raise with just ace high? Any reasonable raise would be a huge chunk of their stack. I'm guessing you don't have any reads on this player in particular. So, what's the chance that a random $50+5 player would put in 40% of their stack on a bluff after you've shown strength? I guess that would determine whether you continue the hand if you get raised.

Jbrochu
07-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I agree with the other responders and bet out at the flop. If you're not willing to bet at this flop with pocket T's, then folding pre-flop is the better choice. Otherwise, you're paying 3.5 to 1 pre-flop just hoping to make a set on the flop at about 8 to 1.

If villian comes over the top, he probably has the overpair or trips (although he probably cold calls the trips). I learned this the hard way by calling pushes in this situation way too many times... If you've witnessed villian making completely fishy moves AK is possible, but do you want to take that chance?

Does anybody re-raise preflop? I usually wouldn't but at the levels I play (22s and 33s at stars) some do.

tigerite
07-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Your line makes the hand easier to play in one sense because it keeps betting impetus the same, but does leave you needing to put more in the pot at this point to find out if you have the best hand. This could be a continuation bet of a whiffed AK or it could be a pair driving out any possible draws, as it is quite a heavy board for that. Given that it's so early I think you should fold here, as your only other option is to re-raise for half your stack. I actually think the line is fine if you intended to only play TT for the set, as you probably should in this position.

microbet
07-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, TT is a little dicey to play other than for set value, because you commonly flop an overcard.

If I were thinking about betting impetus, I would be thinking about check-raising to a likely bluff.

Unarmed
07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
I would fold.
Leading out is iffy at the $50s because bets from the blinds get zero respect, meaning you risk getting moved off the best hand. AK will call the bulk of the time if you lead as well, putting you in a really awkward position on the turn.

I'd check as you did, evaluate Villain's bet, and chose my line based on that. But yeah, I'm folding here. C/Ring is a close second. C/Cing and leading the turn is a distant third.

AA suited
07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
often, if checked to the last player, he will bet to buy the pot.

plus villian raised preflop, so might do a continuation bet.

i would check, hoping he'll try to buy the pot/continuation bet, then check/raise.

Villain's 3/4 pot bet is too big for a flush draw. he's more likely trying to chase away the drawers and everyone else.

now if sb calls, i would push. if sb had a monster, he probably would raise instead incase you were on a draw. by just calling, sb made it correct (implied odds) for you to call if u were drawing.