PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & a question

imported_metrognome7
07-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Good evening, or morning, or whatever it is where you are.

My name's Adam - 25, radio news anchor from Illinois. I just signed up here at 2+2 after reading "HEfAP" and a few other tomes, and just clicking around reading everything I could tonight I feel my game has improved. Thank you for the advice and the shared knowledge.

Poker's been a hobby for me since I was old enough to sit up at the table on my own power. For about fifteen years all I played was live $.05/$.10 and $.10/$.25 limit dealer's choice - everything from 7stud and Texas to Baseball and Between the Sheets. From those games I learned basic strategy, bankroll management, reading skills. In the last few years I've joined the mad mob and started playing NLTHE more than anything else, both live and online. FullTilt, for some reason or another, is where I play. Real-world bankroll issues have kept me on the upper nanolimits ($.10/$.25) and $11 SnG's for the last year; if I make $50, I have to cash it out because it helps pay the bills. Maybe that's foolish, maybe not, but it's kind of nice to have an extra $50 in my pocket every month from killing the fish consistently.

Anyway, I'm posting partly for the purpose of introduction and partly because I have a question: how much do you all rely on theory, odds, and such things, and how often do you simply "feel" the right move? When I'm stuck or confused or whatever at the table I'll use math and such to help find my way out of the woods, but oftentimes - if I'm calm, breathing normally, relaxed - I'll sort of take in the situation as a whole and then POW! The right move is there, fully formed in my head. Sometimes it's just a matter of "Fold. You may have the nut straight but you're beat," other times it's to the point of "This a**clown's got Kd9s and he's trying to make a semi-bluff because he's put me on a double draw. RERAISE!" Does anyone else experience this?

I look forward to f*cking around and learning with y'all in coming days.

--Adam--

willis81
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold. You may have the nut straight but you're beat

[/ QUOTE ]

I would humbly advise NOT folding the nuts under any circumstance. Just to refresh your vocab, the term "nuts" is reserved for the best possible hand using the 5-card community board. Therefore if you have a nut straight you cannot be beaten. The worst that can happen is a split pot.

[ QUOTE ]
how much do you all rely on theory, odds, and such things, and how often do you simply "feel" the right move?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be taking all of these aspects into account each hand.

imported_metrognome7
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would humbly advise NOT folding the nuts under any circumstance. Just to refresh your vocab, the term "nuts" is reserved for the best possible hand using the 5-card community board. Therefore if you have a nut straight you cannot be beaten. The worst that can happen is a split pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "nut straight" I meant "best possible STRAIGHT," a hand still beatable if there's a flush/boat possibility. In other words, I've laid the top straight down if I had that "feeling" that the villian had me beat - 95% of the time I've been right. Thank you, though for putting me onto the correct usage of the term.

[ QUOTE ]

You should be taking all of these aspects into account each hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I do take all of it into consideration, it's just that sometimes the RESULT of all that anaylsis comes instinctually, whereas other times I have to make a conscious effort to put together what's going on. There're also the rare times where I'll analyze that I should, say fold a gutshot but call anyway because I "feel" the necessary card coming - and if I get that mental "tingle," I'm right about 85% of the time.

AngryCola
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure his usage here is correct. The "nut straight" doesn't necessarily mean "the nuts". One can have the nut straight on a paired or three-flush board, but it wouldn't be "the nuts".

That's my understanding of the term, but I'm not 100% sure.

Stephen Gray
07-10-2005, 03:32 AM
The OP is correct in his usage and the followup poster is
incorrect.

Stephen Gray
07-10-2005, 03:38 AM
The idea to study the game and analyze a number of hands until you develop a 'mathematical intuition' that will allow you to quickly make common decisions based on your knowledge of the opponent(s), the size of the pot, and the fall of the cards.

This is not to say that some degree of analysis will not occur during the hand -- sometimes it will -- but most often your intuition, shaped by careful study and reflection, will guide you.

kasey2004
07-10-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly sure his usage here is correct. The "nut straight" doesn't necessarily mean "the nuts". One can have the nut straight on a paired or three-flush board, but it wouldn't be "the nuts".

That's my understanding of the term, but I'm not 100% sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

EX.

u have 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and the flop comes down
4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

thus giving you the nut straight .... as opposed to the non nut or idiot straight of 23... yet u do not have the nuts.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

imported_metrognome7
07-10-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The idea to study the game and analyze a number of hands until you develop a 'mathematical intuition' that will allow you to quickly make common decisions based on your knowledge of the opponent(s), the size of the pot, and the fall of the cards.

This is not to say that some degree of analysis will not occur during the hand -- sometimes it will -- but most often your intuition, shaped by careful study and reflection, will guide you

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've noticed - the basic, everyday, "book" plays now come almost without thought; the tough plays either come insinctually or render me sleepless for a week. Also, there've been times when I've 2nd-guessed that "instinct," usually when tired/drunk/stressed/tilted, and across the board I've been wrong.