PDA

View Full Version : Your 20 something, and parents Hate Poker

Cactus Cactus
07-10-2005, 12:47 AM
About half way into my senior year of college, I started studying the game of poker, and ever since, I have studied played and enjoyed poker ever since. I love what I do. I make a great money, I get to travel (and which I do, about every 3 months I take advantage of it)

So, live is good however the parents are a pain in the a$$. BOth of my parents are high up in the corporate world, and the last thing they want to see is their son playing poker. They think that I am going to do this for the rest of my life. I doubt I'll do this for the rest of my life, but what I am doing now I love it. I'll never make this kinda of money at a real job or maybe not even further down the "real job" path. My goal is to start my own business and in order to do that you need money. Oh by the way, right now as I am typing this 30-60 party I just check raised the nut flush on the river for a huge pot . But as for starting a business, I see poker is a great source to fund my dream. I show my parents what I am making and to them it is not "real money" Well real or unreal it buys stuff

So the question is...How do you handle this. I can't just blow off my parents cause they are kinda cool, and did pay for my college education. Anyone going through the same thing

Voltron87
07-10-2005, 12:51 AM
youre out of college, youre not 15 anymore. if you are self sufficient you dont need their approval. parents just dont understand

tell them your plan, explain it to them instead of letting them speculate. they are sort of right, at the end of the day in terms of potential income high limit poker blows.

OrianasDaad
07-10-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
About half way into my senior year of college, I started studying the game of poker, and ever since, I have studied played and enjoyed poker ever since. I love what I do. I make a great money, I get to travel (and which I do, about every 3 months I take advantage of it)

So, live is good however the parents are a pain in the a$$. BOth of my parents are high up in the corporate world, and the last thing they want to see is their son playing poker. They think that I am going to do this for the rest of my life. I doubt I'll do this for the rest of my life, but what I am doing now I love it. I'll never make this kinda of money at a real job or maybe not even further down the "real job" path. My goal is to start my own business and in order to do that you need money. Oh by the way, right now as I am typing this 30-60 party I just check raised the nut flush on the river for a huge pot . But as for starting a business, I see poker is a great source to fund my dream. I show my parents what I am making and to them it is not "real money" Well real or unreal it buys stuff

So the question is...How do you handle this. I can't just blow off my parents cause they are kinda cool, and did pay for my college education. Anyone going through the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Spelling, punctuation, and grammar are all very important. Please don't neglect your studies. I only bring this up because if you don't take the "small stuff" seriously, how can you convince your parents about anything of greater import?

Draw up a plan to finance your business, along with the model you will use to run your business. Treat your parents like strangers that you will need to show evidence to, rather than people whom you assume will take your word about the future of their child at face value.

Act like an adult, and you will be taken more seriously.

Lastly, it's your life. Finish college because they paid for it, and you owe them that. When it comes to your life, it belongs to you. Live it for yourself.

bigalt
07-10-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spelling, punctuation, and grammar are all very important. Please don't neglect your studies. I only bring this up because if you don't take the "small stuff" seriously, how can you convince your parents about anything of greater import?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that OP is rolling his eyes at this comment, but seriously dude. If you're misspelling your topic and bragging about some pot you just took down in mid-post, it says to me that your parents might not be so off-base thinking that you're mature enough to fly by the seat of your pants, safely.

Sephus
07-10-2005, 01:48 AM
this doesn't apply to me cause i don't have a 20 something.

Nathan183
07-10-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh by the way, right now as I am typing this 30-60 party I just check raised the nut flush on the river for a huge pot .

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh... Why are you here? With MAD SKILLZ like this, you should be at the WSOP!

Matt Foley
07-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Hey there Cactus Cactus, how are ya today? Good? Good!

You're father and I had a little chit chat and he's concerned about your playing poker. That's why he wanted me to talk to you today.

First of all, let me give you a little info on what MY life is all about. I'm 35 years old, I am thrice divorced, and I live IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Now, son, you're probably saying to yourself: "I'm gonna go out and GRAB THE WORLD BY THE TAIL and WRAP IT UP AND STICK IT IN MY POCKET! Well I'm here to tell you that as you go out there, you're probably going to find out that you'll never amount to JACK SQUAT! You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

So I hear you wanna start your own business with poker money eh? Hey, help me out, I can't see real good... are you Donald Trump?

This reminds me of a story: There once was a kid who played poker all day. He check-raised the nut flush for a huge pot. Then he became a pot smoking gambling addict. Then he had to check-raise himself into REHAB! Then he got thrown out of the house and now he lives IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sephus
07-10-2005, 03:51 AM
i can't believe this is the first time anyone has done this.

mattw
07-10-2005, 03:58 AM
hey mr mf:

it sounds like the OP has his sheet together, unlike yourself.

KeysrSoze
07-10-2005, 04:08 AM
check-raise himself into rehab... Hilarious!

TheNoodleMan
07-10-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
best parody post ever, and its not even close. damn, that took me back.

sk8erboy1
07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
haha, I agree with you KeysrSoze!!
lol

IggyWH
07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Every once in a while a great gimmick account comes around... just don't go blowing it now and you could be up there with the ranks of Sup Bro /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SackUp
07-10-2005, 01:01 PM
agreed, well done.

To the OP. I get similar heat from my parents. I'm currently in law school and poker is great to supplement my income. My mom doesn' want to hear about any of the money I make and asked me the other day if I would continue to play once I'm done with law school. I told her I might play some, but I mostly just play for fun anyhow. Also I won't need to supplement my income anymore as I'll be making BANK /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think it is a legitimate concern though. Gambling can be a horrible habit and can cause problems. It is hard for people to get past that who do not understand and more importantly do not want to understand. As long as you are making good money and doing something you enjoy I think they will come around after a while. This will hold especially true if you open up a business with your money.

Don't piss your parents off either though. I wouldn't get into pissing contests over it, it is just not worth it.

GL

o0mr_bill0o
07-10-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
best parody post ever, and its not even close. damn, that took me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too... P.S. where are ya in b-town?

Synergistic Explosions
07-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm a father of a college student. I'm really upset that I can't get my boy to take up poker seriously. He's watched me win lots of money in tournaments and we talk about each hand and what to do. So he's got a grasp. But he just wont take the initiative and play on his own.

I'm also trying real hard to get my 17 year old daughter interested, but that's looking like a hopeless cause too.

It's really frustrating when your kids won't do whats right.

Recliner
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm in college, are you looking to adopt?

thatpfunk
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Your play... brilliant in my opinion.