PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding vs. Skiing /Safety Question

WTF
02-13-2003, 06:05 AM
Is snowboarding just as dangerous as skiing when it comes to knee injuries (torn ligaments)?

Thanks

IrishHand
02-13-2003, 09:03 AM
No - you're far more likely to suffer a knee injury while skiing as opposed to snowboarding. Snowboarders are just more likely to get injured in nearly every other way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J.R.
02-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Wrist and forearm injuries from attempting to beark a fall are the most common snowboarding injures. In general it is less injury prone than skiing, but he majority of people who take up snowboarding tend to be reckless/impatient, so the numbers get scewed a little.

WTF
02-13-2003, 06:20 PM
thanks

M2d
02-13-2003, 08:20 PM
First time I went snowboarding, my wife came home with sprained wrists that took six months to heal. On the flipside, I personally witnessed two skiers break legs (both right in front of me after I wiped out on my snowboard).
Didn't see any sprained knees, though.

Ray Zee
02-14-2003, 12:35 AM
yes boarding slowly is most important if you want to avoid knee injuries. many people each year get hurt boarding buses and cabs too quickly, and hurt their knees. slow boarding will slove the problem. if you do get hurt good linament is fine as you say.

WTF
02-14-2003, 02:27 AM
"yes, many people each year get [censored] boarding buses and cabs too quickly, slow boarding will solve the problem. If you do get [censored], a good nap is fine as you say."

Thanks for the tip.

John Ho
02-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Snowboarders get hurt more because they are often high when on the slopes. However, they feel the pain less and the girls love them.

Ski accidents tend to be more serious (broken legs, Sonny Bono, etc.)