PDA

View Full Version : TuristOnTilt first WSOP hand, how would you play this? x-post

HavanaBanana
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Just posting this in the Zoo as many of my backers came from this forum.

WSOP trip report, already typed it up, but it got erased when I was about to save it, argh!

Ok, here it goes again, the settings:
Day 1b of the WSOP Main Event, I have about 20 backers who has won or earned a piece of me through playing at The Gaming Club Poker Room.

I was delayed a few minutes in getting to my seat but nothing major, and everyone at my table had approximately 10 000 chips and no one had gone out yet.

I sit down and look at my table, no name players I am actually not happy about that, always more fun to tell stories how you beat Phil Helmut with a bluff etc J

First hand I got the button and 4 or limpers before it gets to me, blinds 25-50, I look down and see pocket 7’s.
What would you do here?

I limp, so do the blinds.

Flop is 2,7J twotone clubs.

Everyone checks to me, What would you do now?

I bet, 275...

All fold except a mid position limper (not first limper) who re-raises me 725 to 1000.…

JJ!?

Hmmm… The player is very young and he got quite a few 25 chips in front of him, must have been in a few pots already…
So… what could he have… JJ of course, but 22 too!
J7s? Perhaps, J2 or 27, not very likely.
AA,KK,QQ maybe..

TT ,99,88 not very likely
Two clubs, that could fit the bill.
Ax Clubs or 8,9c 9,10c or 8,Tc sure.

Now if he has
Two clubs, which is the only hand I am in front of that I am worried about, how much to bet to get him out?

I would have to bet 4000 or more which is of course an option, however I decide just to call, hoping for more money in from his end on the club-free turn

Turn is a rainbow 8...

2300 in the pot and he checks to me…

What would you do now?

I bet 1500...

He re-raises 6000 basically the same as all-in…
Would you fold now? Basically I need to put 7 000 in the pot for a chance to win 20 000.…

I thought for a long while, what could he have?

JJ was a concern, but hey, he might just as well have 22 and I am getting odds..
T,9 of clubs.. Scary but I still have 10 redraw outs…
Any two clubs… I’ll take that any day!
7,J, Bring it On!
88? Oh well, ok…

AA,KK,QQ, J!
A Bluff (Harrington says 10%)…

I called…

He had 9,To….

River was…

Kc

gg

ToT

RollaJ
07-10-2005, 12:04 PM
That sucks, I doubt anyone could say you played it wrong. The only option wasa probably a reraise on the flop. Once the turn hit though you are screwed.Maybe someone, somewhere could get away from it on the turn. But not me, and I guess not you either. It was just a really tough beat.
Sorry /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Uglyowl
07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
In Harrington's book he said he laughs (silently) when people tell of how they laid down a set. If you lose set over set then it just isn't your tourney.

Sure if it is a well connected board then maybe, but not here.

IggyWH
07-10-2005, 12:50 PM
First hand knocked out? OUCH!

I suck at tournaments, but if it was me, I would have raised that preflop. With 4 limpers already, I want to protect my pp and see where I'm sitting before the flop even comes out.

This may of course be why I blow at tournaments though.

Baulucky
07-10-2005, 01:22 PM
You got cold-decked.

The WSOP is rigged.

thewildone
07-10-2005, 01:42 PM
with just about any pp on the button you should make a decent raise to test the waters to see what the rest have and if you get a reraise.

You get all the junk out and know if anyone is playing hope they are playing good hands and when the set flops you know you got them.

that is what i would do anyway.

Uglyowl
07-10-2005, 01:45 PM
4 limpers before you how are you going to protect 7's? By betting big? Short of AA there is nothing to protect this early.

You start with 400 big blinds and the levels move up pretty damn slow.

This is an easy limp for set value, which he got and just got unlucky.

LBJ
07-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, he got unlucky. But he played it wrong, too. The guy with the inside straight draw was obviously bluffing (or semi- bluffing) and woulda been out of the pot when countered with a raise. You would still be in the WSOP is you had raised the flop. Live and learn, I guess.

FlFishOn
07-10-2005, 02:26 PM
I push on the flop. JJ good!

jasonHoldEm
07-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Dude that sucks...

Reef
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Posted this on your blog already but..

I 3-bet the flop to ~4k. I think I would've heard from JJ preflop. Probably has AJs or 22 is what I'd put him on.

IggyWH
07-10-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4 limpers before you how are you going to protect 7's? By betting big? Short of AA there is nothing to protect this early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I blow at tournaments but this is how I would play it.

With 4 limpers, you don't know what the hell they are limping with. Pocket 7's are a good starting hand, but really only hold value if you hit your set. Very rarely will 7's hold up to win unimproved.

A raise would push the limpers to decide if their hands are good enough to play to a raise. It also leaves you open to fold to a reraise thinking one of them limpers was slowplaying a monster.

Once he flopped the set, it was just too hard to get away from. A raise preflop might have got the T9o to fold. Hindsight is 20/20 though...

Nepa
07-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I guess you can look at the bright side. You weren't on the bubble!

I think a big re-raise after the flop was your best option.

I would guess that the butterflies weren't even gone yet at this point.

Good luck!

smartalecc5
07-12-2005, 11:20 PM
ya, if it makes you feel any better I would have NOT 3-betted the flop. Hell, I want him to feed me his chips on the turn and river when he doesn't know what I have. Granted, this maybe FPS - but it waht I (ashamedly) would have done.

Tough luck- get 'em next year!

dogsballs
07-13-2005, 12:42 AM
I call the flop CR and try to get all-in on a non-flush turn...oh, you did...

I say well played. Unlucky.