PDA

View Full Version : Selective chopper

Vehn
02-13-2003, 02:04 AM
I sat to the right of someone who chopped blinds or didn't chop based on the strength of his hand. What strategy adjustments are required?

Dynasty
02-13-2003, 02:17 AM
The best strategy is to sit on his left and refuse to chop.

Sitting on his right is bad spot to be in.

JTG51
02-13-2003, 02:17 AM
What strategy adjustments are required?

Get a seat change button.

Other than that, it's hard to say without knowing if you were on the left or right.

Vehn
02-13-2003, 02:27 AM
I did ask for a seat change.

As I said I was on his right.

Robk
02-13-2003, 02:40 AM
He has to act first right? If he doesn't want to chop he has something, so I would play tighter. And if he wants to chop he has garbage so refuse, then raise him and bet the flop. Occasionally chop when you have garbage also so he doesn't catch on. If he's giving you information you might as well use it.

JTG51
02-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Either I'm a retard, or you edited that post. Or both.

If I really did miss that the first time, I'm sorry. Now I have to think of an answer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mikey
02-13-2003, 03:12 AM
i'm sitting in the 10-20 game, i'm sitting to the left of the selective chopper. He recently chopped with the person sitting to his right....now the next hand I'm the BB, so I'm assuming he'll chop with me if the situation arrises...

everyone folds to him and he raises.....

I say to him..... " I thought you chop."

He says, "I'm sorry no.......not this hand."

So i honestly don't even care....but i'm trying to create a fuss...with to him to make him nervous......

I say, "I thought you said, you chop, you chopped with her before, now you don't chop."

the whole table bursts in laughter.....

meanwhile he's getting nervous...

I look down and see.....94o.

I fold, but I honestly wanted to take an extra $5 chip and flick it into his eye just on principal.

The next time I sit next to him, I'll be sure to be on his...immediate right.....i'll glady agree to chopping.....before the flop.....

if the situation arises...and he says "chop"......you can be sure you'll know what i'm going to do.

Clarkmeister
02-13-2003, 03:19 AM
"What strategy adjustments are required? "

None, you just don't chop with him. Pretty simple.

Ed Miller
02-13-2003, 05:05 AM
If someone does this to me, I just assume they have a big hand when they don't want to chop and fold if I don't also have a big hand. I then don't chop with that person again.

Bob T.
02-13-2003, 05:46 AM
never chop with him.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

PokerPrince
02-13-2003, 05:47 AM
I was sitting at a table with my brother one time and I liked how he approached a selective chopper. Every time he was in the SB with the S.C. in the BB he would ask, "Chop this one?" If the S.C. gave him a look as if he didn't want to or said he didn't want to my brother would toss anything marginal. If the S.C. said, "ya let's chop this one" my brother would raise with just about anything. It worked about 8 times before the guy just didn't answer my brother anymore. I could hardly keep a straight face.

PokerPrince

Mikey
02-13-2003, 02:45 PM
bob this is the wrong strategy, remember how you said......he's a selective chopper.....well how about this...

Let's say you pick up a good hand in the BB and he's in the SB and he asks you if you want to chop...you give the same line he'd give you....

"ohh no....I can't chop this....."

Vice versa..if you are in the SB and he's in the BB and your hand is worth playing.....raise....if it's a bad hand....just look over to him.....and say......."so are we going to chop this one up?"

he'll never know what to expect.

and you have the best of both worlds both times in both positions.

Don't just agree to not chopping, because then you are giving away money on....some hands...that he'd chop with.

To be honest with you......I don't care if you chop or don't....I just want to know what you want to do before the cards are dealt....not after....any moron can decide what they want to do after.

Bob T.
02-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Mikey,

The other thing to consider here, is that vehn is a good shorthanded player, it is probably to his advantage to not chop in the first place. Given that, and the fact that this guy wants to play games, I would just play with him all the time.

I guess that if you want to play the selective chopping game back at him, you could, but I would just play in that circumstance. I'll take my shorthanded game against most of the players at the limits I play at, and take my chances, rather than play goofy chopping games with them.

I concede that there is probably some value in doing that, but I would just feel better if we play one way, or the other.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Dynasty
02-13-2003, 04:52 PM
The next time I sit next to him, I'll be sure to be on his...immediate right

What are you thinking? Being on the immediate right of a player who doesn't chop (while you presumably chop with the player on your immediate right) is a substantial -EV situation. You're the only player who has to call a pre-flop bet to see the flop and you'll play the entire hand out of position.

Dynasty
02-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Bob T. is not wrong. It's correct not to chop with this player and to sit on his immediate left.

Vice versa..if you are in the SB and he's in the BB and your hand is worth playing.....raise....if it's a bad hand....just look over to him.....and say......."so are we going to chop this one up?" he'll never know what to expect.

Why not? When you have a hand worth playing, you're raising. When you don't, you're offering to chop. Is that supposed to be difficult to figure out?

And, again, you should never be in the small blind against this opponent.

Mikey
02-13-2003, 05:18 PM
i'm sorry i meant left......i don't know what i was thinking.....i want to have complete position on him...

cferejohn
02-13-2003, 08:18 PM
So offering to chop is not considered binding?

bad beetz
02-13-2003, 08:29 PM
punch him.

bad beetz
02-13-2003, 08:37 PM
he only asked if he would "like" to chop, not if he would.

Besides, oral contract is only binding if there is consideration /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

bernie
02-13-2003, 09:49 PM
you say, were not chopping. and jack his blind with anything reasonable when it's just you 2. f*ck him. he blew it....

i had an A Hole do this to me once....it folded around and i asked if he wanted to chop. the jerk shoots in a raise. (he had chopped earlier, usually we'll ask if they have a 'shot' at a JP, then just see the flop) he looked all smug at that...so...the gloves came off...

i jacked his blind every chance i could. it also helped that the table was a little tighter than usual...he ended up paying quite a bit for that dipshit move. after he did that, i didnt ask for a chop with him, i usually raised.

selective chopping is BS.

b

bernie
02-13-2003, 09:55 PM
this may be true with someone who never chops...but this is a 'selective' chopper. ive found these idiots tend to play predictably when they do call your raise....and they usually wont call unless they have a very good hand...which is why they didnt want to chop that 'certain' hand....some of these guys are also weak tight, so they tend to fold during the hand to bluffs....

you can sit to their right and make EV on them. if youre careful and dont overdo it

b

b

bernie
02-13-2003, 10:02 PM
"Don't just agree to not chopping, because then you are giving away money on....some hands...that he'd chop with."

your not going to win every blind battle...but youll win enough to make a profit off these types of idiots. you dont HAVE to play every blind hand in this spot...which is one reason i actually like to be on his right....to put pressure on him without asking...

it's actually more predictable playing in the BB....b/c you know when he wants to play, hes only going to play with better hands...and if he wants to chop and you dont, you only get the sb...to where he gets the BB....

when jacking it from the sb into his bb, he may eventually lower his calling standards here and you might gain even more on him...

youre right though, both positions have their pros and cons

just some ideas...

b