PDA

View Full Version : question about turn hand quiz in sshe

JackThree
07-09-2005, 08:50 PM
this is the hand I have a question about:

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero.....

ssh says that i should raise to protect my hand and try to fold out lone 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in case another diamond comes on the river
this is where my confusion lies, will i seriously be able to fold out those diamonds?

and am i supposed to be folding J or T one card flush draw?

AKQJ10
07-09-2005, 09:37 PM
The general rule of thumb, which Ed appears to be implicitly incorporating is that you should only draw to the nut or second-nut flush in a one-card flush situation. When you have only one suited card matching four on the board, there's a much greater chance that higher cards are out against you, hence that rule of thumb. (Of course, if you have some other draw like 2nd pair or something, a smaller one-card flush draw can add some value. Even so, be sure to drastically discount the flush possibilities because of the probability a higher one-card flush draw is out against you.)

In low-limit games, you might not fold out the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. However, if they play correctly they should fold, certainly to a raise. So you're charging them more to incorrectly stay in and draw against you, which means the virtually all of the remaining 4/5 of the time that they don't make their one-card flush, you profit by having raised. You can consider this raise to be a value raise with the best hand (almost certainly!), and you want to get as many chips in while your hand is still best. But protecting your hand in a large (13.5 BBet) pot is also another advantage of a raise.

JackThree
07-10-2005, 01:35 AM
thank you for the explanation, it is clear to me now