PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Straight

Nottom
02-13-2003, 12:50 AM
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post a hand of my own. Be gentile. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Online microlimit game. I'm the BB. Usual collection of decent players and fishier types.

Dealt 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . Tilting player (TP) UTG+1 opens and a newer player (NP) i haven't got a read on yet and a solid player (SP) limp in behind him. SB and I join the fun.

5 to the flop. 5 SB in pot.

Flop: 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Wow, i just got hit in the face with that flop. Nut straight and no flush draw in sight.

SB checks, I bet ... its called all around. Nice.

5 to turn. 5BB in pot.

Turn: 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Hmm, this is interesting. Does make a Full House possible, but with the passiveness on the flop, I would assume nobody had 2-pair or trips. I'm pretty much hoping someone is holding a 10 and an overcard.

Checked to me, I bet, TP calls, NP raises, SP calls (I figure she has the nut flush draw here), SB folds, I reraise, TP calls, NP Caps, everyone calls.

4 to flop, 21BB in pot.

River: A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I still figure I have the big hand, so I bet to try and get a little more out of his trips. TP folds. NP raises all-in (a bet and a half). SP and I call.

Was I too aggressive in the face of a potential full house (we all know how some people like to slowplay flopped trips). This was the first time in a while anyone was willing to play when I actually hit a hand. Any additional thoughts would be great.

travisand
02-13-2003, 01:00 AM
I am not going to make any comments about the way you played your hand but you should edit your post.

You title the post "flopped straight". With the flop you listed you flopped a straight draw. And the flop came with 2 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . That seems a little strange. I think I understand what you meant to put but you might want to change it, otherwise most posts will be making fun of you not talking about how you played the hand.

Nottom
02-13-2003, 01:20 AM
Hmm ... someone must have changed it on me when i wasn't looking. Oh well, its all better now.

PokerPrince
02-13-2003, 02:25 AM
I can't see any problems with the way you played the hand.

PokerPrince

Robk
02-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Your play looks fine to me. I love pushing pots when everyone is calling even when I don't have the nuts. All the fish putting essentially dead money into the pot more than makes up for the times he shows you ATo, or 6To, or some other garbage.

Nottom
02-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Sure enough, he flipped over ATo and scooped the pot on the rivered FH.

SP had A6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif as I expected (just couldn't bail with that big a pot I guess)

Anyway, after seeing his hand it at least made me feel good that I had a pretty acurate read on him, and he had to hit one of his 4 outs to beat me. Thanks for the input.

bernie
02-13-2003, 11:33 AM
he had much more than 4 outs...he had 9 going to the river(9 since the 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif was taken)....where do you get 4?

b

Nottom
02-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Your right, I had a bit of a brain-fart there. Although with that reasoning, he actually only had 8 since the A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif was taken as well.

pudley4
02-13-2003, 12:01 PM
The only thing I would do differently would be to reraise on the river to try to get one more bet out of SP. NP is the only one betting, so he's the only one I'd be worried about losing to, but he's all-in already. Since SP called 1.5 BB on the river already, I think it's safe to say he'll call one more.

Rube
02-13-2003, 03:55 PM
I like the way you played the hand. The turn sounds like trip tens and you don't want to let NP fill up cheaply, good reraise especially since you have two outs to the straight flush.

Good river bet. When NP raises you're probably beat but you should reraise to get some more money from the other player since NP is all-in.

Nottom
02-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Good point on the re-raise to get a bet from the player who has been calling all the way with the danger hand out of the way. I really didn't even think of that at the time, and need to learn to keep an eye out for situations like that.

bad beetz
02-13-2003, 08:23 PM
there is very few other ways to play this hand, and I think the way you played it is best. you did fine.