PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 Bet the river to fold out a low?

emptyshell
07-09-2005, 07:08 PM
How many people bet this river to try to fold a weak low? Is anybody concerned that the high is not good? It looks like his most likely holding is a missed flush draw (maybe a wrap straight draw) but any two non-pairing low cards gets half the pot anyway.

The player I was up against recently called two pot-sized bets from me with a weak two pair after I made my low on the turn. He's also the same guy as v2 from my "PLO8 $400 Drawing Hand" post. So, he's rather loose.

$400 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
v1 ( $1147.4 ), Hero ( $591 ), folder6 ( $575.2 ),
folder1 ( $25.5 ), folder2 ( $391.4 ), folder4 ( $364 ),
folder7 ( $430.9 ), folder5 ( $154.5 ), folder8 ( $194.85 ),
folder3 ( $400 )

Dealt to Hero [ T/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

folder1 posts small blind [$2].
folder2 posts big blind [$4].
folder6 folds, folder5 calls [$4], Hero calls [$4],
folder7 folds, folder4 calls [$4], v1 calls [$4], folder8 folds,
folder1 folds, folder2 checks

FLOP: (20.90) [ 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
folder2 checks, folder5 checks, Hero bets [$20.9],
folder4 folds, v1 calls [$20.9], folder2 folds,
folder5 folds

TURN: (60.80) [ 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Hero bets [$60.8], v1 calls [$60.8]

RIVER: (182.40) [ 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

FBMike
07-09-2005, 11:53 PM
You didn't say it, but your opponent is very, very bad, which I base on a previous hand you submitted.

Against such people there is only one way: bet, except when you are weak and possibly even in those cases.

You were strong against a weak player with maybe good outs for low {there is no reason to put this bad player on a low hand). I suggest you keep the pressre on with a bet on every street against this very, very bad player. You have somrthing and he night not.

gergery
07-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Depends on your opponent but i'd usually bet 1/2 pot there thinking you are good for high. against good players i'd be value betting hoping they caught two pair and might pay off a small bet thinking its a busted flushwrap.

Wintermute
07-10-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on your opponent but i'd usually bet 1/2 pot there thinking you are good for high. against good players i'd be value betting hoping they caught two pair and might pay off a small bet thinking its a busted flushwrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

emptyshell
07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Sounds good. Do you fold if he raises the river?

Wintermute
07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
i'd call a raise. if he ends up there w/ 89 then more "power" to him. but you're way, way more likely to get raised by nut low with weaker or no high

gergery
07-11-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good. Do you fold if he raises the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, because of what wintermute said.
if you plan to fold to a raise, then i wouldn't bet but just check-call.

--g

emptyshell
07-11-2005, 02:08 AM
I bet out the pot, he raised, I called. He had 789J. In fact, he was the slight favorite on the flop and turn. I guess I was doomed, but it made me feel like I should have check-called. I guess my bet wasn't unreasonable, but 1/2 pot bet might have been better.

Wintermute
07-11-2005, 10:24 AM
He may have been a favorite given the cards in your hand, but this is still a bad play from a weak player (i'm talking about him). His wrap doesn't cover the high side, so he will frequently make a str that isn't the nuts, a costly mistake. Also, with two to a flush on the board, his outs drop considerably. He was lucky to be matched up against your naked set, but I wouldn't play your hand differently based on the results of one unlucky river card. (With the exception of calling the raise of a pot-sized bet on the river. By doing that you make his implied odds come true...)

Unless this guy is a good player who was just drunk or on tilt, he's going to be a losing player in this game