PDA

View Full Version : HoH1 p307: He says not to bluff on the river when a scare card hits?

AA suited
07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
(I'm doing this from memory)

Final table of a big multi-table tourny.

10k/20k/blinds plus ante, 5handed (i think).

sb has 300k
bb (HERO) is the chip leader w/700k and has jqo

everyone folds to sb, who raises 25k. you call. 100k pot

flop = 479 rainbow
sb checks, you bet 60k. sb calls.

Harrington says it looks like villain has a piece of the flop, probably a 4 or 7.

turn: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
sb checks, you check

river= 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
sb checks. Hero ??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Harrington says for you to check. he says villian KNOWS he has the best hand now, since if you had something, you would have bet out on the turn to prevent a free card.

My read:
1) if villian has a monster (ie: AA), then he would probably check/call flop/turn and bet out on river. but since the river was a scare card, wouldnt a big bet by Hero as a bluff be a good choice? after all, you are the chip leader.

2) if villian was trying to steal the blind:
a) his check/call on flop probably means he doesnt have top pair. but since he called, he might have the 4 or 7 or even a low/mid pocket pair.

b) his check on the turn means he's afraid you might have the 9. your check on the turn meant that you dont have the 9.

c) he checks on river when the 2nd 7 hits. he's either slow playing trip 7's, or is afraid you have a 7. wouldnt a big bluff bet here to represent trip 7's be good? Why/Why not?

How's my read so far?

<font color="red"> And more importantly: </font>
Why does Harrington say that since you checked on the turn, Villian KNOWS he has the best hand on the river?

Why couldnt it be that you flopped 7's. However, since he only called your flop bet (instead of check/raise) that you're afraid he might have a monster? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AA suited
07-10-2005, 10:29 AM
anyone? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jbrochu
07-10-2005, 02:29 PM
The way I see this is you have two choices, try to represent 7's (as you suggest) and hope villian doesn't have them, or just check and give up the hand.

I meaningful bluff at a minimum is probably 100k, and what are you going to do if villian then pushes? I think based on your strong chip position and poor hand, it's best to give up on it and just check since your bluff might get called by a 9 anyway.

Newt_Buggs
07-10-2005, 02:29 PM
but the villain knows that you don't have a piece of the flop because you would have bet on the flop or turn if you did, right?

Jbrochu
07-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hero did bet the flop (60k) and villian called.