PDA

View Full Version : What are the books that you have read?

Mikey
02-12-2003, 08:05 PM
I want to see what type of books 2+2ers are reading to help them improve their game

Athough I own many poker books (30) I must admit that i didn't read them all....and I didn't reread the ones that I have been reading...what are in your opinion

"THE MUST HAVE" BOOKS!!!
to improve your game.

DanS
02-12-2003, 08:41 PM
The four books that are, undoubtedly the four best poker pokers a) to own, b) ever written, and c) to read over and over again, are:

1) HPFAP
2) TOP
3) GTOT
4) ITPM (Senor Feeney's book)

I think that these books alone with give you the intuition, judgment, and skill to beat almost any discipline of poker (possibly excepting spread limit razz /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ) in the low to lower middle limits, if you are of reasonable intelligence.

Dan

P.S. The first book I was introduced to was Ken Warren's book **shudder**.

bernie
02-12-2003, 09:24 PM
HPFAP
Holdem poker
both kreiger books
jones
warren
feeney inside the poker mind
schoonmaker psychology of poker
caro's book of tells
Cardplayer magazine
suzuki..tournament strategies..(sucked...dont buy it unless you need fire starter)

soon to get malmuths essays...

and for fun....my BJ books...

stanely roberts...
stu perry....BJ diaries
ken uston on BJ
ian anderson...turning the tables
bryce carlson BJ for blood
dalton.. BJ a professional reference
steve forte...read the dealer
schlessinger...BJ attack
patterson...BJ a winner's handbook
humble/cooper...the greatest BJ book
malmuth...BJ essays
Wong ...professional BJ (wong's the man)
Wong....Basic BJ
Wong....BJ secrets
Wong....BJ neewsletters vol.4
snyder...BJ wisdom
braun plus/minus (wish id have stolen it from the library as it's a collectors item now....they ended up selling it)

my thing is, i dont buy a book until i finish reading one. kind of like a bonus for finishing it. doesnt mean you have to understand the whole book, that usually comes later as youll see many different takes in different books...eventually a tough concept will be explained in a way youll understand...

so you get many different views on one concept. which makes it easier to understand thoroughly. which also helps you recognize how other players may think depending on their take of said concepts...make sense?

the MUST have's? eventually get even the 'just ok' ones....you may find 'something' to improve your game

whew...that was kinda fun

cya

b

calzoneboy
02-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Definitely any books by Art Vandalay are a must read.

JTG51
02-13-2003, 01:27 AM
LOL, I guess I'm not the only one that watched that episode tonight.

John Feeney
02-13-2003, 04:12 AM
Gracias Senor DanS.

mike l.
02-13-2003, 04:21 AM
all the 2+2 books and not much else. roy cooke book is good but gets a little sameish after awhile (roy has big pot making not particularly brilliant but nevertheless reasonable decisions and then says something long term +EV etc.). killer poker by john vorhaus book is the great new book everyone needs. it's really different and brilliant. that guy's the nuts.

hey mikey what about that little trade we were arranging? sounds like i may not have any books for you but i could send cash. let me know by private email.

DanS
02-13-2003, 04:56 AM
No problemo, el Capitan! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

SoBeDude
02-13-2003, 10:35 AM
GTOP?
ITPM?

please expand. (the first two I knew of course!)

-Scott

DanS
02-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Scott-
GTOT: Gambling Theory and Other Topics
ITPM: Inside the Poker Mind

Dan

Homer
02-13-2003, 10:39 AM
gambling theory and other topics (malmuth)
inside the poker mind (feeney)

Dentist
02-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Has Mason reviewed Killer poker yet?

I've heard good things about this book, but if it's like his column on www.thepokerforum.com (http://www.thepokerforum.com) it may be too simple for what I've read so far.

For fun, here's the path I followed to my limited poker knoweldge:

1) Poker for Dummies (great start)
2) Winning low Limit Hold 'em
2a) Roy West's Stud Book
3) TOP
4) HPFAP
5) Caro's Book of Tells (plus his videos) - and to this day I've only picked up 2 tells in live play... YUK!
6) Psyhcology of Poker (I enjoyed this one!)
7) Inside the poker mind
8) Improve Your Poker
9) Middle Limit Hold 'em

Book I own, yet to be read:
7CSFAP
Hi-lo split for AP
Super/System
Sklansky on Poker
Tournament Poker for AP

I'm considering getting Killer Poker, Ciaffone's Pot Limit Book, and that's about it...

I've read so much stuff my head is full. I need to do more re-reading....

How long should it take to become a competant player??
I've been almost 1 year, and my progress has been EPIC even though I've been trying to work on multiple games at once.

My home game calls every non-wild card version of poker there is ( a lot of RAZZ), so I have to be adept at multiple poker forms.

However, at B&M I only play Hold 'em (because our stud SUCKS) or Omaha Hi-Lo