PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files over ethernet or USB or wireless

shadow29
07-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I've got a desktop and need to transfer several gigs worth of files to a laptop. Not practical to do it by CD.

I have a wireless network set up (the desktop is connected to the router via ethernet and the laptop connects wirelessly). Can I transfer files that way?

Or via ethernet or USB? I have both cables.

Also, please explain it simply.

Thanks,

John

tinhat
07-09-2005, 02:13 PM
The last answer is best (IMO):

web page (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2780320&page=2&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

smoore
07-09-2005, 02:14 PM
sure, easy. I assume both machines can see each other in "network neighborhood"

right click on the folder you want to share. choose "sharing".

Allow read-only access to everyone. Respond YES to anything that says, "This may be dangerous, do you want to do it now?"

Go to the other machine and browse for it in the windows network of windows explorer. Transfer to your heart's content.

Don't forget to unshare the folder, since you're obviously not completely savvy as to what this does to your security scheme.

shadow29
07-09-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sure, easy. I assume both machines can see each other in "network neighborhood"

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

edit- To clarify, all that each computer sees is its own connection to the network (ethernet for desktop, wireless for laptop).

TheTROLL
07-09-2005, 02:29 PM
They need to be in the same Workgroup (right-click My Computer on Desktop, choose Properties. On Computer Name tab, edit Workgroup name - use any name you like, just use the same on both.), should then be visible in Network Neighborhood

shadow29
07-09-2005, 02:32 PM
They have the same workgroup name, but I don't see either computer in My Network Places (XP Home).

smoore
07-09-2005, 02:38 PM
ok, each computer has a name. in this case we care about the NMB name. Open the run prompt of one of the computers and type the other computer's name there, in this format:

\\name

If that doesn't work I would suggest plugging the laptop into the ethernet portion of the network and trying again.

shadow29
07-09-2005, 02:43 PM
It says that the netwok path was not found.

I never set up a network, it's just a router.

smoore
07-09-2005, 02:49 PM
does the same router control both the ethernet and wireless ethernet portions of the network? If so, log into the web-admin portion of the router and find the IP addresses of the machines. Now return to the run prompt and type in or copy/paste the ip address in this format:

\\<ip here>

If this doesn't work, I suspect that windows file sharing is completely turned off. I don't remember where to turn this stuff on and am not sitting at a windows machine right now.

If the wireless access point isn't the same device that is your router then it's probably firewalled off. Just plug the laptop into your router for this file transfer.

shadow29
07-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Ok, I went into the control utility for the router, I got the IP address, I did that \\ip and I got no message. However, my firewall on the laptop asked me to permit file/printer sharing from the desktop's ip address. So I guess that's good.

I still can't see either machine in the Network places, however.

Or can I do something else now?

shadow29
07-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Another update,

I did \\desktop ip on the laptop and it brings up a little dialog window that has the username of the desktop but then it asks for a password. What password is that?

shadow29
07-09-2005, 03:59 PM
More progress.

I am able to see both computers on the desktop. I can't see them on the laptop, however.

But when I double click on "laptop" it says

[ QUOTE ]
\\Laptop is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact blah blah blah

The network path was not found.

[/ QUOTE ]

shadow29
07-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Got it. Forgot to enable file sharing on both computers.

Thanks all.

TheTROLL
07-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Edit - I see you've got it sorted!