PDA

View Full Version : Moving into NYC

ozyman
07-09-2005, 12:35 PM
So my potential roommates bails on me yesterday and now I am left trying to find a studio/1 bedroom for an August 1 move. It has to be east side, since I am doing the reverse commute out to my job in Westchester, preferabbly Upper East Side. I am scouring Craig's List and online brokers, so far the only decent places I have leads on are all the way on York in the 70's and I just don't know if that is to far out of the way. I was hoping I could benefit from the infinte wisdom of OOT. Thank you all.

Voltron87
07-09-2005, 12:40 PM
if you want the upper east side and towards the park be prepared to break the bank. its expensive, and the 70s especially. when i read your first sentence i thought "yorkville is in your future".

try higher up, 100-110. there is a litte sliver thats cheaper than the upper east side but not the ghetto either, and its close to metro north. other than that youre kind of asking an apartment miracle.

edit- re reading your post i see that youre asking if you can get to get to the 456 from york, its a walk but its not that bad. 10-15 minute walk to the trains. i think you can get fairly cheap 1bs in the 50s - 30s way on the east side which would be closer to grand central, maybe try that. that would not be an unreasonable walk.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Well, you can live in Harlem since Metro-North stops at Harlem 125th St.

But I don't know if you're too keen on that...

hoopsie44
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't get your drift. Why does it have to be east side if you're commuting to Westchester? If you're commuting up there by Metro North or if you're driving , why does it have to be east side ? Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen are two neighborhoods much cheaper to live than UES and you have easy access to Metro North (Grand Central Station).

ozyman
07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks.

Ideally, I would prefer something around 86th because its an express stop and 2nd or 3rd.

How would you describe "Yorkville". At this point if I get a good deal (1350ish) im thinking of taking it but am interested on thoughts on the area and the people who live there. Basically, I have been stuck out in the suburbs in Westchester for two years and just need to live in the city for the improved soical scene and dont want to live in a completely dead neighborhood.

ozyman
07-09-2005, 12:47 PM
I would be commuting up on the Metro North, taking the subway up to 125th so I pretty much need to be near the 456 trains.

Harlem is most definetly out.

Voltron87
07-09-2005, 12:50 PM
yorkville is the east side at the 70s-90s, but way east. it goes 3rd, 2nd, 1st ave, york ave. york and 86th would not be bad at all for you, if you dont mind a 15 minute walk to the train. Which you'll probably have to settle for, the city is expensive. Social wise most of the people in that area arent young but its fine in that aspect, its in close range of good places to go out.

IndieMatty
07-09-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yorkville is the east side at the 70s-90s, but way east. it goes 3rd, 2nd, 1st ave, york ave. york and 86th would not be bad at all for you, if you dont mind a 15 minute walk to the train. Which you'll probably have to settle for, the city is expensive. Social wise most of the people in that area arent young but its fine in that aspect, its in close range of good places to go out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a lot of young people in yorkville.

Voltron87
07-09-2005, 01:11 PM
really? i havent spent too much time there, i always got the impression it was kind of quiet. its close to a ton of good stuff anyway. ive havent met too many 20 somethings from there, more of the 30+/young family crowd.

Hoi Polloi
07-09-2005, 01:13 PM
I've been UES rentals are actually a bit of a bargain b/c young renters don't really want to live there. A number of friends and colleagues have recently returned to city and end on the east side.

Perhaps OP is just not prepared for the grim reality of Manhattan's $/sq ft rates.

IndieMatty
07-09-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really? i havent spent too much time there, i always got the impression it was kind of quiet. its close to a ton of good stuff anyway. ive havent met too many 20 somethings from there, more of the 30+/young family crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every young business person who graduates lives on the UES somewhere at some point. I think it's in the city charter.

handsome
07-09-2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.uppereast.com/realesapbuil.html

In my experience showing apts, Mautner-Glick has the best bargains hands down.

lucas9000
07-09-2005, 02:09 PM
the bronx.

The Armchair
07-09-2005, 02:15 PM
There's a building on 86th and 2nd (NE corner) that, as of a year or so ago, had studios going for about $1300-1500.

turnipmonster
07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I was under the impression the UES sucks and it's nothing but old people and yuppies w/kids, is this not the case? my initial impression was exactly the opposite of the OP's, I'd much rather live in harlem.

--turnipmonster

Wintermute
07-09-2005, 02:56 PM
A friend of mine lives on 86th between Lex and 3rd, he pays something like $1500 for a piece of [censored]. You might want to reconsider the UES, unless you can afford it in which case you might consider talking to one of those apartment finding agencies.

coltrane
07-09-2005, 04:01 PM
a good friend of mine lives on 75th-ish between York and 1st and he pays like $1300-ish for a one-bedroom.....he says UES is actually where the cheaper deals are these days because it's fairly far from the subways and there's nothing cool around so no one wants to live there.....there is the old constituency of families and older folk, but now there is also a large amount of the young white frat/sorority people - which is way worse than old people......

IndieMatty
07-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Facts:

UES still is the place for the cheapest apartments in manhattan proper.

Yes it is young but fratty. Bright point? cheesy hot chicks love getting drunk and banging random dudes. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ozyman
07-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys, great input so far. I am definetly going to give Mautner-Glick a call this week. I checked out an absolute dump of a 1 bedroom at 62nd 2nd that was $1400. I guess I shouldn't have expected any better. Keep the advice coming.

handsome
07-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Don't listen to some of the advice in this thread. Some people obviously don't have a big enough sample size. In any case, make sure you have all your paperwork ready... bank statements, pay stubs, proof of income (your income should be ~40x the monthly rent), personal references, etc. Have about $4500 readily accessible or in cash, and be ready to sign when you see the right apartment.

If you don't find a place with Mautner-Glick (doubtful), try Bettina Equities and Eberhart. They are like #2 and 3 when it comes to inexpensive UES studios.

lastsamurai
07-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Well... If you are going to bring your car...i suggest moving to one of the boroughs. There are a few nice areas in brooklyn like bay ridge and dyker heights. I was renting a 2 bed room apartment off of 5th avenue with parking for about 1 K a month. I got that sweet deal through a realitor who needed to make his commission check around xmas time in the year 2000.

YOU will definately miss driving your car...especially if you want to visit near by cities like DC or Philly...oh yeah...dont forget those trips to AC and FOXWOODS too... those tour buses dont cut it!

Luv2DriveTT
07-10-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well... If you are going to bring your car...i suggest moving to one of the boroughs. There are a few nice areas in brooklyn like bay ridge and dyker heights. I was renting a 2 bed room apartment off of 5th avenue with parking for about 1 K a month. I got that sweet deal through a Realtor who needed to make his commission check around xmas time in the year 2000.

YOU will definitely miss driving your car...especially if you want to visit near by cities like DC or Philly...oh yeah...dont forget those trips to AC and FOXWOODS too... those tour buses dont cut it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in the LES. I bought a car 2 1/2 years ago to start traveling more often, but parking in NYC drove me banannas. So I hight-tailed it out to Jersey City. No traffic, 5 minute train ride to get to WTC or 30 minute ride to get to 33rd street, and it is MUCH cheaper. I have the best of both worlds, life is good. I highly recommend you check out Jersey's Hoboken, Wehawken, Jersey City, or Edgewater areas as viable options.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif