PDA

View Full Version : Correct call? (and a question about UB SnGs)

Iron Tigran
07-09-2005, 04:25 AM
xxxx is at seat 3 with 6975.
yyyy is at seat 4 with 320.
IT is at seat 5 with 850.
zzzz is at seat 6 with 6855.
The button is at seat 3.

yyyy posts the small blind of 150.
IT posts the big blind of 300.

IT: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Pre-flop: zzzz folds. xxxx raises to 1050. yyyy goes all-in for 320. IT goes all-in for 850. xxxx is returned 200 (uncalled).

Reasoning: By calling the short-stack's all-in, I am increasing the chances that he will be busted. If we both get busted, I take 3rd. If he triples up, obviously I am in big trouble, but with the blinds where they are, I am already in dire straits...

Also, it seems most posts on this forum are on Party SnGs. Currently I have a tiny BR, and it is all on UB, so I am playing their $5.50 SnGs exclusively, trying to build back up. Are UB's SnGs regarded as similar/easier/harder than Party SnGs?

Nottom
07-09-2005, 04:39 AM
I think your play is probably fine. You are getting some pretty good odds with a pretty good hand and really don't want the SB to take down this pot.

As for the difference between UB and Party SNGs, UB SNGs are much slooooowwweeerrr than the ones on Party. UB is time based I believe where as Party goes up every 10 hands, so this leads to people getting shortstacked much earlier in a typical party SNGs and creating the push/fold situations that are so often discussed here.

runner4life7
07-09-2005, 04:42 AM
With regards to UB and party

UB has bigger stacks slower blind increases and generally better players. Party has small stacks, rapid blind increases and horrible players. Fast games bad players high hourly rate. But party has 5+1 instead of 5+.5, I would wait till you have a BR for the 10+1s but then switch to party for sure if you are concerned about the money.

Iron Tigran
07-09-2005, 04:56 AM
Gotcha. I played a bunch of SnGs on Pacific and MidAtlantic a while back, so I have some experience with the 10-hand per level SnGs. I prefer the timed SnGs because I play pretty tightly, but I realize if I am to get better and win more, I ned to get more aggressive. I have lots of 4th and 3rds, very few 7-10ths. Having that 7 min when it gets shorthanded means lots more hands at the current level before blind increases, so I can move my short stack with a bit less urgency...

Thanks for the replies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif