PDA

View Full Version : internet access problem

Josh W
07-09-2005, 03:26 AM
my girlfriend has a cable modem, and just got a new computer. She has a wireless internet connection, and changed some settings on internet explorer.

I told her "get firefox". Well, now she keeps getting booted off very regularly after a very short period of time, and she doesn't think she can download anything because of it.

I've brought my laptop over to her place, and have no access problems, so it must be with her computer, not her cable modem. Any ideas what she can do to get things back to normal? I suggested just "reset internet settings" on IE, but she doesn't want to re-setup everything she set up. She's hoping its just one box she needs to check/uncheck.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

raisethatmofo
07-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Do you by chance have SBC Yahoo ? If so, I think I know exactly what it is. YOu need to be more specific, though because I don't know what "booted off " means.

Vote4Pedro
07-09-2005, 03:53 AM
I have SBC and this happens sometimes...whats the deal?

Josh W
07-09-2005, 03:54 AM
she does not. she has it through her cable company. she'll be browsing the web, then she will lose her connection. she'll need to go into her control panel, disable her connection, then re-enable it so it resets.

josh

raisethatmofo
07-09-2005, 04:00 AM
SBC Yahoo which I have. With that, you need to uninstall connection manager. You need to basically uninstall anything with a "broadjump" in its name. It sounds drastic but it worked. I used to get disconnected all the time and SBC would drop me hints as to what to do but couldn't tell me directly. I finally went here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/ilec,am

And they told me to uninstall Broadjump and use the existing connection manager that windows XP came with. I didn't know XP had one but it did and it works pretty good.

Maybe your girlfriend is having a similar problem. It sounds like it. See if you can use the built-in connection manager that XP has. I believe it is in Network Connections in your control Panel. You might want to do a search to find out if you can, though.