PDA

View Full Version : Paired Flop Frequent Situation: Best Turn & River Line?

Ryan11
07-09-2005, 02:05 AM
This has been happening a lot to me lately. Where the flop comes with the high card paired and then a lower card. You have the lower card in your hand or have a pocket pair higher than the lower card. It's checked to you and you bet and then everyone folds except an earlier checker. Then the turn is a blank and it's checked to you what do u do? I see two possible ways to handle this:

1) Check, the benefit to this is if he is holding trips he is most likely going for a checkraise on the turn. This also frequently causes him to bluff at the river letting you get an extra bet that you wouldn't have gotten if he folded to your turn bet. Also it lets you see a showdown for 1 BB. The bad thing about this is that you miss bets when he would pay you off with a weaker hand and dont give him a free draw to beat you on the river.

2) Bet, then how do you handle a check-raise? The benefits are clear here, no free draws, get paid off by a weaker hand, etc. Downside is you might get check-raised and might have to fold depending on the situation.

Here is an example:

converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, 2 fold

Turn: (12.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks or bets????.

What do you guys think is a good way to approach these situations in general. I know a lot of this will be read dependent and whatnot but just a general ideas would be appreaciated. Lately I've been checking the turn which I think is too weak.

Thoughts?

EStreet20
07-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I hate those situations. In the hand you show if it's the SB then he could definitely have a 10 (or just about anything else.) Without any reads I'd probably bet again the vast majority of the time. If he's holding an overcard or two you might induce a fold. If he just called with trips on the flop then on well, he wins, but you're probably good most of the time and may even get him to call down with an A high. If he raises then I may call down or may fold, but that's very read specific.

Good luck,
Matt

King_Striker
07-09-2005, 02:31 AM

Ryan11
07-09-2005, 03:48 AM
This is limit I'm talking about.

I just made that example up as it's something I run into quite frequently. Something like you have AJ and board is QQJ or whatever. I think I have to work on how I react in these situations as they seem to come up fairly often for me.

King_Striker
07-09-2005, 03:53 AM

Ryan11
07-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Ya I think I am going to start betting a lot more with the weak players that I've seen call with mediocre holdings.