PDA

View Full Version : 99 Overpair- Flop Play

Firefly
07-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey all, Playing some 1/2 i had an interesting hand pop up..

Pf isn't standard, but with a majority of loose passive players on my right, i didn't see alot of value in raising this preflop.
Reads are sketchy early in the session, but the table is loose and unspectacular.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero?

SoftcoreRevolt
07-09-2005, 01:37 AM
There's plenty of value raising it preflop. You likely have the best hand, and probably have 2/3s of the field here dominated. Your equity edge is big enough to exploit.

Don't worry about giving LPPs odds to draw to their hands, most of the time you can't protect your hand against such players, so just value bet.

In this case, you must raise that flop.

Aaron W.
07-09-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pf isn't standard, but with a majority of loose passive players on my right, i didn't see alot of value in raising this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Reads are sketchy early in the session, but the table is loose and unspectacular.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise here is nice because you can get the button. There's also quite a bit of value to pick up from overcard chasers. Just don't be stupid on the turn if the action heats up and an overcard falls.

imported_The Vibesman
07-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Interesting.
My first instinct was to say call and raise a safe turn card, but there aren't many safe turn cards. I can't find any I like. Obviously not folding. Raising may very well not fold anyone, but we might have the best hand. It may fold the flop bettor.
edit: silliness, don't usually post this late. Didn't notice button was still in the hand, in that case I would definitely raise to try to fold him. I thought Hero was last to act.

Firefly
07-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Okay i mucked up preflop pretty badly. Too much tournament playing in the last couple of days. I did raise the flop because i felt there was value in the raise, i also considered waiting for a safe turn card, but i felt that there was probally no sense in that because I didn't have good relative position..
Here's the rest of the hand

<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (18.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

I felt the turn was a good card for me it counterfitted top two pair and it still left me with an overpair.
I felt i should have folded the river in hindsight. Comments there?

imported_The Vibesman
07-09-2005, 02:18 AM
I would call the river, but fold to a raise.

benneh
07-09-2005, 02:22 AM
I felt i should have folded the river in hindsight. Comments there?

no way. maybe i'm wrong, but this pot is too large to give up on the river just cause a jack falls.maybe i'm a chip spewer, but i'm sure you're good more often than you need to be to make this call.

marchron
07-09-2005, 04:11 AM
Not just a jack, but a flush.

Crying call.

TomBrooks
07-09-2005, 06:51 AM
...Raise, mainly to try to fold out the last two guys behind you.

PS: Oh yea, raise PF to try to fold the people behind you.

TomBrooks
07-09-2005, 06:54 AM
RIVER: Fold. Save yourself a bet.

Edit: PS: I didn't notice how big the River pot was. Better call just in case. You might win this more than 5% of the time versus two bluffers (SB and UTG.)

Hojglad
07-09-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly play in fear of runner-runner flushes? If so, take up a new game. Solitaire should suit you. This river is a call, and it's not close. You would have to be absolutely insane to fold here.

beset7
07-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Folding on the river here would be a MAJOR mistake. Look at the size of that friggin pot.

FWIW, I raise preflop, cap the flop and bet the turn. If I get raised on the turn then I think about slowing down.

beset7
07-09-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about this hand indicates that anyone is on a flush draw?

@bsolute_luck
07-09-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding on the river here would be a MAJOR mistake. Look at the size of that friggin pot.

FWIW, I raise preflop, cap the flop and bet the turn. If I get raised on the turn then I think about slowing down.

[/ QUOTE ]

capping the flop is spewing chips. no one is going anywhere, you're bloating the pot, and there are tons of cards (not to mention an already made 2 pair) that can beat you on the turn.