PDA

View Full Version : stickies...now that we have a moderator...

gildwulf
07-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Citanul,

Could you please sticky Shadow's favorite posts lists and current and future digests? SS has started stickying their weekly digests and other forums have stickied posts similar to Shadow's.

These are two separate requests so please treat them as such. In order of preference they are 1) stickying Shadow's post and 2) stickying current and future digests.

xLukex
07-09-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul,

Could you please sticky Shadow's favorite posts lists and current and future digests? SS has started stickying their weekly digests and other forums have stickied posts similar to Shadow's.

These are two separate requests so please treat them as such. In order of preference they are 1) stickying Shadow's post and 2) stickying current and future digests.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember Citanul saying he was against this as it put too much information right in the faces of the people that aren't willing to contribute to the forum.

Nick B.
07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
You know there is a button that you can press to put a thread in your favorite thread lists.

raisethatmofo
07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
why is a moderator needed on this forum ?

gildwulf
07-09-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know there is a button that you can press to put a thread in your favorite thread lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, smartass.

The point was so new and old posters could find and contribute to interesting threads get lost in the shuffle. See Pergesu's post in the June Digest 2.0 post.

All the other major forums sticky these kind of threads. Check out SSL.

JayKon
07-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I like this forum just as it is, thank you.

bluewilde
07-09-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The point was so new and old posters could find and contribute to interesting threads get lost in the shuffle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. It's not just about convenience and being lazy (though I am). I think making these threads more accessible promotes discussion. We'll put more into them get more out of them. Everybody wins.

Scuba Chuck
07-09-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point was so new and old posters could find and contribute to interesting threads get lost in the shuffle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. It's not just about convenience and being lazy (though I am). I think making these threads more accessible promotes discussion. We'll put more into them get more out of them. Everybody wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean it promotes repeated discussions. Which we already have. Is my ROI sustainable? What kind of cash percentage is good? I think ICM is full of [censored]. I don't want to repeat stuff over and over. I really want to talk about individual HHs mostly.

bluewilde
07-09-2005, 02:41 AM
OK you make a good point: there comes a time when some discussions have run their course and need to just fade away. I was thinking it'd be nice to have something like Gigabets Theory of Stack Sizes tacked to the top of the forum so it could keep going, but now it's sort of descended into "i don't believe math" vs. "math, math, math" and I doubt much else will come out of it.

So then the argument for stickies comes back to the being lazy part. If you want less repetition, wouldn't it be best to have some central posts that cover things like the sustainability of results, target ROIs etc so people don't have to ask? Not trying to be difficult, but do you think in this sense stickies would help, or is this not the thing that's annoying you? I think like...4 or 5 general info threads tacked to the top followed by just a bunch of individual HH discussions (and a fair amount of ass-clownery given this crowd) would make for a pretty clean, productive forum. What do you think, Chuck?

Scuba Chuck
07-09-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK you make a good point: there comes a time when some discussions have run their course and need to just fade away. I was thinking it'd be nice to have something like Gigabets Theory of Stack Sizes tacked to the top of the forum so it could keep going, but now it's sort of descended into "i don't believe math" vs. "math, math, math" and I doubt much else will come out of it.

So then the argument for stickies comes back to the being lazy part. If you want less repetition, wouldn't it be best to have some central posts that cover things like the sustainability of results, target ROIs etc so people don't have to ask? Not trying to be difficult, but do you think in this sense stickies would help, or is this not the thing that's annoying you? I think like...4 or 5 general info threads tacked to the top followed by just a bunch of individual HH discussions (and a fair amount of ass-clownery given this crowd) would make for a pretty clean, productive forum. What do you think, Chuck?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I like one stickie. Second of all, the FAQ covers the part I highlighted above. That being said, I frankly don't mind the monthly SS Digest concept in the SSHE, but it's not necessary.

Finally, of all posts not to stickie, Gigabet's theory of stacksizes should be on the top of the list. No disrespect intended to the author of course.

citanul
07-09-2005, 09:49 AM
The Shadow's post:

is a very good piece of material, incredibly informative, etc. is linked to constantly. from what i recall, the majority of people polled did not want that thread stickied. i could be wrong though. personally, although i think that it is a good post, i think that it shouldn't be a sticky, though clearly if the overwhelming majority say they think otherwise, i'll sticky it. mostly i just think that if people want to find it, they will.

The monthly digest:

i appreciate that someone is doing these. it seems like a good idea. my problem with stickying it (and in part this is a problem with stickying the shadow's thread too) is that what it covers are like, "historically good discussions." and as scuba points out, what that inspires is repetitive discussions. i think we'd probably just wind up hearing/seeing a lot of bumps and cutout quotes from last month's threads instead of new material.

citanul

wildzer0
07-09-2005, 10:22 AM
I'll just throw my 2 cents in is someone who has learned a ton from this forum and not contributed as much as I should. The Shadow's post puts an incredible amount of information out there, which is awesome but I kind of like the fact that it's buried. For people without a lot of posts looking for information, I think it's really helpful to have to search through the the archives. I learned a lot just looking for specific posts and it drew me into the forum and made me want to post and contribute. Looking for some posts was as much a learning experience as finding some of them.

Phill S
07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
I just vote for a better search system, seriously, google does searches for blogspot, let them integrate their engine into the forums.

Then we wouldnt need to poste links, or sticky threads (beyond a FAQ, im surprised it took so long since the last FAQ went down to the archives for us to get another one).

Phill

zaphod
07-09-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just put a link to Shadows post in the sticky that Citanul has made?

Phill S
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
its locked

fnord_too
07-09-2005, 01:25 PM
What about having a link to the wiki page in the FAQ and putting some of those there? (I really dig the whole wiki thing and would love to see every forum stick some of their great threads there.)

citanul
07-09-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its locked

[/ QUOTE ]

amongst the reasons it's locked is to prevent things like that.

the faq is a non strategy post.

i may put a link to the wiki in the outside links section of the faq. that's up in the air at the moment.

citanul

Scuba Chuck
07-09-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just put a link to Shadows post in the sticky that Citanul has made?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so stupid. This has been debated to death. It's over. For all of you who argue to put it in the FAQ, just put it in your favorites, you will always be able to find it there.