PDA

View Full Version : Reaching the bubble with a below par stack

Quercus
07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm an experienced limit and NL player (ring and SH) and have started playing SNGs. I'm doing all right on them (a modest but positive ROI) but am concerned about the condition my stack tends to be in when I reach the bubble or one off the bubble.

Far more often than not, my stack is in the 500-700 range (in the PP 11s, with their 800 chip starting range) rather than the 1200-1500 range I'd like. That generally means that I need to double up at least once or steal a lot of blinds in order to have a good shot of making it into the money round.

I could obviously loosen up a bit to increase my stack size going into the bubble, but I'm afraid that might actually mean I make it to fewer bubbles and finish ITM less often. For those with solid ROIs, do you normally reach the bubble with a stack below par?

lastchance
07-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, L1-L3 play, I think that cash game or NL MTT tournament play is going to be pretty profitable, folding most of the marginal situations that you normally play.

L4 all the way to ITM is about picking up t150, t225, t300. You push twice per round, and don't get called, you can and will build a t700 stack into a t1400 stack. At the low-limits, this is harder, and you may have to actually see the river, but that's ok.