PDA

View Full Version : Elevator Etiquette

gonores
07-08-2005, 09:34 PM
My apartment building is 4 stories high, with an underground basement for parking. One of my biggest pet peeves is returning home in my car, getting on the elevator to get up to the fourth floor, and having to stop on the first floor to pick up a guy who walked in and wants to get to the third floor. A two-floor trip for him nearly triples the amount of time I am stuck in the elevator.

Do I have a beef here? Assume that the stairs are right next to the elevator, and that the offending passenger is able-bodied and empty-handed. What is the minimum number of floors one should need to travel before it is acceptable for him to take the elevator? Does your answer change whether he is going up or down?

And, yes, I know stairs are better for you and that I am lazy.

ZeeJustin
07-08-2005, 09:35 PM
He should be entitled to use the elevator for just 1 floor of travel. I don't see why he wouldn't.

stabn
07-08-2005, 09:39 PM
It sucks but i don't think you have a real gripe here. If he was a one floor guy you could cuss him out all you want.

gonores
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Naturally, he is entitled to travel 1 floor in the elevator. That being said, wouldn't you feel dumb getting on an occupied elevator to travel one floor when there are stairs clearly available right next to the elevator?

gonores
07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
For the record, I think four floors is pushing it for an empty-handed 20-something like myself, and I often use the stairs to get down to my car from the 4th floor. I spent four years in places where I had a 3-floor trip to the door, and rarely used the elevator during that time.

gunt
07-08-2005, 09:42 PM
1 -2 floors you should walk provided you aren't carrying anything... 3 floors or more is acceptable to take the elevator, IMO.

BottlesOf
07-08-2005, 09:43 PM
No, you have no legitimate beef. That's what happens when you live in a four story building with an elevator.

Sponger15SB
07-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah you totally have beef, how dare this guy cost you an extra minute and a half of your prescious time. You could be out curing cancer....wait.... I mean... sitting on your ass eating doritos while playing poker in your underwear.

BZ_Zorro
07-08-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, you have no legitimate beef. That's what happens when you live in a four story building with an elevator.

[/ QUOTE ]

fluxrad
07-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Dude. You live on the fourth floor.

How do you have a right to bitch about elevator etiquette here?

gonores
07-08-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you have a right to bitch about elevator etiquette here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said I felt like I had the right to bitch? That's the whole point of the post. I even said I think four floors is pushing it and that I am lazy.

TimM
07-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I just stayed in a hotel on the 22nd floor, and there were many people interrupting the ride just to go from one floor to the next because their floor's ice machine was broken. The stairs were closer to the ice machines than the elevators!

Plus, the event I was attending was held on the mezzanine and ballroom floors, which had escalators between each other and the lobby, and still there would be people using the elevators to go between these floors.

private joker
07-08-2005, 10:05 PM
What's your rush?

gonores
07-08-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm an American. When talking about travel time, less > more.