PDA

View Full Version : Help me play from the BB.

TripleH68
07-08-2005, 08:56 PM
My blind play is painful. This seems like a simple/common situation.
Help me with this one and I promise I will search for many more on my own...

UTG+1 is in his first orbit - new player to me.
Button is 71%/29%/3.43 over 121 hands.
Nice spot for him two seats to my right.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero...

Calling preflop look good?
What's my plan here?

UATrewqaz
07-08-2005, 08:59 PM
I like the call, this is a good hand for blind defense, especially if he's the stealing type. I go for a check raise here, or check-call, followed by check-raise on turn.

mmmmmbrother
if you want to play this hideous hand against the button, i raise to get utg+1 to fold

Shillx
I would fold preflop. Call if they are suited fwiw there.

This is a super easy flop check/raise. Bet any turn card (including an ace) if he just calls.

Brad

Guthrie
07-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I'd fold to the raise preflop.

Greg J
07-08-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is a super easy flop check/raise. Bet any turn card (including an ace) if he just calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this advice. Since you called preflop, checkraise the flop.

Shillx
07-08-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this advice. Since you called preflop, checkraise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would elaborate more but I'm drinking, on vacation and playing 2 SNG's. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad

Edit - This is important

If your hand were KQ, you should check/call the flop. Do you see why?

<font color="white">You don't want a hand like KT or even JTs calling on this board. With the KQ a hand like JT or KT is drawing virtually stone dead. Here you would like the 3rd plyaer to fold all hands that contain a card bigger then your middle pair. </font>

TripleH68
07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My blind play is painful. This seems like a simple/common situation.
Help me with this one and I promise I will search for many more on my own...

UTG+1 is in his first orbit - new player to me.
Button is 71%/29%/3.43 over 121 hands.
Nice spot for him two seats to my right.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="blue">I knew my call was dangerous. My thinking was I am likely ahead of the LAG button and UTG+1 may be folding or drawing thin.
I want to check-raise any relatively safe turn card. If you think this play is stupid, let me have it so I can improve.</font>

Turn (4.75BB): 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets, <font color="red">Hero raises</font> ...

Shillx
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't like it at all.

There are 2 problems with check/raising the turn...

1 - You keep that 3rd player around and it isn't like your hand is invincable

2 - You risk giving the button a free card. I understand that he is aggressive and that helps your cause, but it is a smallish sample and it isn't a good habit to get into. Giving free cards isn't such a huge problem when you have a boss hand...but mid pair doesn't exactly qualify here.

Brad

Jaran
07-09-2005, 12:12 AM
[release inner lag] Given the button's #'s, I'm tempted to 3bet pf and put some pressure on UTG to get out. Since you didn't, I'm c/r'ing the flop and then calling down, unless it gets really scary or I improve.[/recage inner lag]

-Jaran