PDA

View Full Version : Omahahahahah

octaveshift
07-08-2005, 05:39 PM
I am guessing we have some skilled 0/8 players here in the STT forum, so I am also guessing there is a reason why nobody seems to play them...

Is it because all limit SNGs tend to turn into a crapshoot in later levels?

Or maybe it's because they are amazingly soft, and some of you are there already, fishing from your secret pond?

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I think I'd like to start adding some O/8 games, and would appreciate any insight. (I have played a few low-buyin O/8 tournies on Party, and have done well by playing a very basic selective PF strategy.) If anyone is up for making a run at them with me, I'd be happy to turn it into some a joint effort kind of deal. (Share HHs, offer terrible advice, etc.)

Your Little Omaha Buddy,
octaveshift

citanul
07-08-2005, 05:40 PM
it's because they usually take longer and run less frequently than other games.

citanul

adanthar
07-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Every non-NLHE SNG at Party is amazingly soft but just too rare at higher limits.

A friend of mine went 36/43 ITM at $10 Stud/8. O8 isn't THAT bad but it's close. $/hour? I dunno. Maybe if you could multitable them effectively.

octaveshift
07-08-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine went 36/43 ITM at $10 Stud/8. O8 isn't THAT bad but it's close. $/hour? I dunno. Maybe if you could multitable them effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played Stud SNGs and found them to be absurdly soft. Unfortuantely, I felt the payout structure was not worth the time.

(I always imagine Stud/Hi villains to be 80-year-old men with bifocals, who lean closely into the screen and take a slow hit off their oxygen bottle before calling my raises.)

I mean, they were stupidly easy. People calling when they couldn't even beat my up cards. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

johnnybeef
07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
why the hell would you want to play omaha 8 sngs when the ring games are almost as profitable as nlhe sngs?

kasey2004
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I always imagine Stud/Hi villains to be 80-year-old men with bifocals, who lean closely into the screen and take a slow hit off their oxygen bottle before calling my raises.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif it ... hahaha

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Dallara
07-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey Octave, I've been playing one or two O8's a day lately. PM if you want to trade some hand histories.

I've done ok at them, but given the relatively low edge in pre-flop hand strength in Omaha (no hand as big a favorite as AA in hold'em) I'm not sure I have an effective late game strategy yet.

octaveshift
07-08-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why the hell would you want to play omaha 8 sngs when the ring games are almost as profitable as nlhe sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually didn't know this. Maybe I should just hit the rings for a while?

citanul
07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
omaha of all varieties is the shhhhh secret super profitable game of the stars.

citanul

Meatmaw
07-08-2005, 07:07 PM
I've been looking at picking up PLO (not O8) lately. Any reason for the preference toward O8 v PLO? I'd be up for some discussion, but at this point, it'd probably be more productive for you to simply post your hands to the respective forum. I don't imagine I'd know much of what I'm doing as what I've learned so far of PLO has been pretty mind-bending from a NLHE perspective. And I'm not too cotton pickin smart. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

octaveshift
07-08-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't imagine I'd know much of what I'm doing as what I've learned so far of PLO has been pretty mind-bending from a NLHE perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played some PLO/HI and I concur. Nothing like seeing your flop nuts cracked by the turn nuts cracked by the immortal river nuts.

Dallara
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
O8 is supposed to be a fairly low variance game thus it requires a smaller bankroll than say hold'em. PLO on the other hand, is about as high variance as poker gets.

Meatmaw
07-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Is O8 or PLO reportedly a higher return (at medium stakes) and at what games, ring or sng's? And if my question is painfully ignorant, please clarify. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Starting hands alone for PLO still bewilder me to some extent and all I can figure is "it's a drawing game; it's a drawing game; it's a drawing game" and try to lower my excitement over high cards and increase it for suited connectors.

spentrent
07-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I've been playing some PLO8 25 and the bad play is astounding. Perhaps it gets better as you move up? I dunno. Everyone plays hands that are fine for high omaha -- like 89TJ rainbow -- but are kinda silly for hi/lo. Just sit and wait for A2xx or 4 cards T+. Also, your preflop tightness allows you to steal almost any 3-handed flop.

You have just read my new book, Small Stakes PLO8.

Phill S
07-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Cleveland Guy (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=13740&Number=2335178&Boa rd=singletable&what=showthreaded&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=&vc=1) is the one to PM your Qs to. He was doing an experiment with omaha SnGs and was getting some pretty good results last i heard.

Im pretty sure he was at pokerroom, but if you want to talk shop, theres your first lead.

Phill

steaknshake925
07-09-2005, 11:50 AM
i cant look at your avatar without hearing a little voice in my head going "SHUT THE [censored] UP." ive been trying for like 5 minutes to just watch the avatar without hearing the voice. not successful yet.