PDA

View Full Version : omaha hi low, make no mistake, IT'S ABOUT AGGRESSION!

ADAMtheEXPERT
07-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Ok, ATE was looking over these posts, and I saw one that advised how to "stay out of trouble" Ok, Ok, I didn't read it. And, it certainly IS important, to "stay out of trouble" when playing ANY omaha game. But . . . . . . . . . . .Not to the extent, that you exhibit COWARDISE, and cower under your bed, fearing the monsters in the closet.

ATE has a technical term, for the CORRECT way to play omaha, but I ai'nt about to GIVE IT to the world, just so someone who DOES have the power to copywrite things, can just STEAL my term. Just like the guy who tried to STEAL my song (Ed note: Yes, in addition to his MASTERY in all
other areas of poker, ATE is also the TOP poker songwriter, in the world!!! BY FAR!)

Anyway, winning strategy in omaha, is based on aggression, not chicken-shift (minus "f") behavior, that ATE sees all the time! Yes, if you don't have the absolute nuts, or NUT NUT, someone CAN beat you. But, the novice player, has no actual idea, of just how often, certain hands will, and will NOT be beaten, based on player count, type of hand, type of board, betting action, and know and perceived playing tendencies of the opposition. (WHEW!that was a mouthfull!!!) Uh, ATE detractors, I would hope that even YOU can see the SHEER genius and TOTAL professional sophtistication, on ATE based on that last sentence. And just so I pre-empt anyone saying this: NO PLUCKIN WAY, did that come from any BOOK!

Now, it is very very difficult, to know when to proceed with exreme aggression, except for the obvious ones. Remember, that ATE was playing omaha, back when REGAN still had control on the nukes! Problem is, that although there are a few good omaha books out there, NONE and I mean NONE, will give you the full story of the game. Believe ATE, friends, omaha hi low, is NOT about just waiting around for an A 2 3 hand, and hoping to make the nut-nut. It's about seizing opportunities, and understanding when certain drawing hands, are much better than the made hand. It's about knowing the right time, to run a bluff. AND, especially nowadays, PICKING OFF an opponent's bluff. It's about knowing, when secondary hands are good, and what other potential/features you need, to be able to (successfully) go for a non-nut hand. Someday, ATE may actually give y'all the book you so strongly crave. In the meantime, I am occasionally available for private lessons.

Certain great starting hands, can produce a winning hand, as much as the low 50's (in percentages) Compare this to pocket aces, in hold em (Statistacally, 34% wins, based on full table) As such, you need to play the numbers. If you have a 42% probability hand, and 5 are willing to play, you should be winning to go to the cap.

Oh yeah, although it's a lot more difficult to master, pot limt, is based on the same thing. A wrap straight and low draw, even without a flush draw, is a very nice favorite over a top set. As such, you should be willing to go with the math, and go all in against typical opponents.

Ok, you may not know it yet, but ATE is famous for my CLEAR examples:

Example:

You, A 2 4 K, with Ace high diamonds

It's the 400 game, and you and one opponent put in 20 bucks each.

Flop: J 3 5 rainbow, but one of your suit.

Opponent checks, you bet the pot (40) and he raises to 120.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you know for a fact, that he has three jacks, and only plays said hand, along with other high cards.

(Ed note: against a very good opponent, who would NOT make a big move, without and A2 to go with the set, this would NOT apply. But, against average opponents, it does)

Well, you would go all in, even knowing that you have nothing . . .YET. But, you are a numbers favorite, to make a long-term profit on the hand.

Anyway, something to think about, from the folks at ATE

Adam, the helpful genius.

wiseheart
07-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I like your creativity, but I don't
think there is a PF hand that has
a 50% chance of winning every time,
unless your talking about heads up
and you know what your opponents cards are /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mendacious
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A wrap straight and low draw, even without a flush draw, is a very nice favorite over a top set. As such, you should be willing to go with the math, and go all in against typical opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok-- I know this to be true, so help me out, how do you play top set? Most flops will contain 2 cards to the low, and of those, the majority could also make straights on the turn. So how do you recommend playing top set-- on these flops, especially in PL08.

This is probably my single biggest leak-- and probably many others' as well.

bygmesterf
07-09-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A wrap straight and low draw, even without a flush draw, is a very nice favorite over a top set. As such, you should be willing to go with the math, and go all in against typical opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok-- I know this to be true, so help me out, how do you play top set? Most flops will contain 2 cards to the low, and of those, the majority could also make straights on the turn. So how do you recommend playing top set-- on these flops, especially in PL08.

This is probably my single biggest leak-- and probably many others' as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If top set is the only thing you have, then you try and duck the flop, and bet on the turn when a blank/boat comes. If a low comes you have to pass to a pot bet since it is very very likely that you are getting freerolled.

PLO/8 is all about three things.

1. Freerolls
2. 3/4ring
3. Blasting people out of the pot because they are scared of 1 or 2.

In PLO8 you must must must have some back up to your hand, or else you will be on the wrong side of freerolls and 3/4ing situations. This is very different from Limit O8 where it's you against the field comapre to the much more common one on one situations in PLO8.

Mendacious
07-09-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If top set is the only thing you have, then you try and duck the flop, and bet on the turn when a blank/boat comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

But aren't you giving a free card to someone who is drawing on you? And it is possible that the person only has a nut low draw, but no draw to a straight, in which case you were are giving him a free card with the opportunity to chase you out with nothing but the low-- if a low card comes on the turn.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I need a little more persuasion on the wisdom of checking your top set on what is probably the majority of flops. It also seems to me that you will virtually never win a big pot this way either, and be surrendering a lot of small pots albeit avoiding a percentage of hands that you lose your stack.