Big Folder
07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I just wanted to see what everyone thought of this:

Lets say you have:
A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG and you raise
you get 3 cold callers and hte blinds come in

party 1/2

The pot is 12sb and the flop comes:
A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

In this spot my buddy would go for the check raise his logic being that the pot is so big nobody will drop if you bet out giving the field 13 to 1 to call.

While I think he makes a good point, that few if anyone will drop, the problem is how can you check raise when you have no idea where the bet may come from?

If it gets checked around to the button who is the player that will bet out hoping to take the pot then it would work fine. But what if the guy to your immediate left bet? It would essentially be the same as you betting. Or what if the bet came from two players to your left? Would you check raise to knock out one or two opponents while increasing the odds on the turn past the 10 to 1 range?

It may be checked around allowing you to lead out on the turn giving the field 7 to 1 to call, which is better than the odds they had on the flop but giving a free card isn't great even though there are no draws out there. But most flops have some draws so what would you do in this case when giving a free card can be a disaster?

The reason I brought this up is because a post just got put up where the guy had TPTK on the flop and bet into a large field the whole way. On the river a guy raised him when the river completed a possible gutshot which if that is what happened the villian had the odds to call all the way with.

Is this a situation where protecting your hand isn't possible since the only way it would be is if you can check raise a button bet?

@bsolute_luck
07-08-2005, 02:20 PM
#1: who are you check raising?

#2: what are you trying to protect yourself from on that board anyways? pocket pairs shouldn't have a) cold called and b) don't have odds to call your flop bet.

playing to protect a strong hand that you raised preflop and hit on the flop is queer. someone needs to grow some gamboooling balls.

GrunchCan
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Checking in this spot on the flop would be a very large mistake. First, as you suggest, you have no reason to believe that if you don't bet that someone else will. Second, even if someone does bet, if its someone to your left and then you raise, you still didn't get the protection you were looking for. Third, you don't need hand protection. You have a very high equity edge in this hand, regardless of the number of opponents. Your goal should be pot maximization, not pot protection.

I'll also point out that going for a checkraise at the wrong time is a very common mistake among newer players. It's an easy tool to use wrong.

MrWookie47
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Just ducking in for a few words, Grunch, or are you coming back to join us for a while?

GrunchCan
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm kinda backing my way in. And I'm spreading out over different forums, like NL.

TomBrooks
07-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Lately, I've been seeing some players play this hand deceptively, check/calling the flop. 1/2 seems weak-tight to me and betting out this flop after raising preflop sometimes folds everyone. I don't think it would happen in this hand though, because you got three callers plus two blinds in. 6 players to the flop at 1/2 is a lot. I'd bet out into this field. Your going to get some callers. The pot is large.

I wouldn't want to rely on an early or middle player betting here, and if a bet comes from last position and say one or two blinds fold, then your going to face the other two players with two cold and your more likely to lose them.