PDA

View Full Version : constructive criticism, anyone?

nycplayer
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
No Limit ($0.50/$1)
Hero is in cutoff with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB: ($128.75)
BB: ($96)
UTG: Villain($83.42)
UTG+1:($106)
CO: Hero ($42)
Button: ($44.38)

Villain: calls $1
UTG+1: folds
Hero: calls $1
Button: folds
SB completes
BB: checks

FLOP ($4)
[A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
checked around

TURN ($4)
[9/images/graemlins/spade.gif]
SB: checks
BB: checks
Villain: checks
Hero: bets $2
2 folds
Villain: calls $2

RIVER ($8)
[8/images/graemlins/club.gif]
Villain: bets $4
Hero: raises to $20
Villain: raises to $80.42 and is all-in
Hero: ???

I know - fold pre-flop.
But I am playing at a new site, this table is very loose, and there is a better than 70% chance everyone limps. On other sites, I am VPIP 20%. Here I am VPIP 34% and making good profits - so I thought I could see what happens.

GrunchCan
07-08-2005, 01:07 PM
If I choose to play PF, I'm coming in for a raise. The reason is not becasue I'm trying to steal -- UTG won't fold, so I have a FE of zero. The reason is becasue if any face card comes on the flop, I can make a decent bet -- say, half to 3/4 pot -- and usually take the pot then and there. By just limping in PF, you have represented a hand that doesn't include strongly-kickered high cards. That is, you clearly don't have AK. I like raising PF instead of limping here becasue of the position it leaves me in strategically on the flop.

nycplayer
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Good point - I just figured I'd get a cheap look at the flop and bail if it wasn't good. I've been doing so well, I really wasn't even thinking about setting up plays. If I flop halfway decent, I'll usually win - and when I connect well, I know I'll get paid.
This time, I just kind of wandered into a tough situation. No PFR - but these guys have played AA, AKs, TT, AT and JJ without raising PF - it is very hard to put them on a hand.

Should I think my straight is good here?

subzero
07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
If you're going to play QJo, raise it preflop (you can play position afer the flop) or fold. Your raise on the river committed you, so I think you have to call. With a paired board, I would've called the first bet on the river. But I'm a little weak-tight.

amoeba
07-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I think your straight is no good.

amoeba
07-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I like a potsized bet on the turn.

you don't have any fold equity with 2 dollars.

swolfe
07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
reads on villain? if he's solid, this is a pretty clear fold...

T9 seems likely, possibly AT.

with no reads, i don't raise that river.

as played, as short as you are, you have to call his push.

nycplayer
07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Hero is all-in $19
Returned uncalled bets $41.42 to villain

SHOW DOWN
villain: shows [As Ah] (A Full House, Aces full of Tens)
hero: shows [Js Qc] (A Straight, Queen high)

IGHN /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jkkkk
07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Easy fold.

amoeba
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
missed limp reraise works out well.

nycplayer
07-08-2005, 01:52 PM
that's the thing - they're not playing very solid (my limited experience with the site is that it is full of loose, passive players at the NL $1 tables). AA or AT is just as likely as KK or KT here. He might go all in with any T, and I've got the trips beat.
It's one of those way ahead or way behind situations, but there are no more cards coming.

twolf
07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
In my little experience of stop-and-goes on the river in NLHE mean a monster.

W/O being results-oriented I can honestly say you should just call the river bet. On this board your hand cannot withstand a reraise but you would like to see a showdown so you should call. So I would either call or raise and fold to a push.

Edit-
[ QUOTE ]
It's one of those way ahead or way behind situations, but there are no more cards coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why raise if you know it's one of these situations?

nycplayer
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
well, this is the range I put him on at that point:
AA, TT,
AKs-ATs, AKo-ATo,
KTs, QTs, JTs, T9s,
KTo, QTo, JTo, T9o

So I really thought I had the best of it. I have a history of seeing monsters under the bed, so I was trying not to play weak.

But like the little girl in Aliens said, "My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are, aren't there?"

stealyourface
07-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I am gonna go ahead and say 25% chance he has trips, 75% he flopped a boat.

he slow plays the whole time, and the bets out on the river saying "i've got a sweet hand, this is my last chance to make money."

you have got to fold here.

oh and P.S. JQo sucks but you know that.