PDA

View Full Version : Critique This Game

bluewilde
07-08-2005, 12:44 PM
So, my first real stab at the 11s and I managed not to lose my shirt, but feel like I only placed ITM with some ridiculous luck. So here are about ten hands, ones where I was lost, sucked-out or may have missed opportunities. (If it's not ok to take up this much space with a post just tell me and it's gone)

1) First one's easy: it's level 1, 10-handed, mostly even stacks. I have JQs in the button and it's raised (4BB) ahead of me. Folding was easy, but would I have limped if it were unraised? Would I have open-raised? (I was glad there was a raise because otherwise I wouldn't have known how to play--probably fold though)

2) Still level 1: 1 limp; I (1415) limp in MP3 with 77; 2 more calls; BB (810) raises to 90. MP2 folds, I fold.

Same thing happens later on with 33, I shouldn't be limping with low PP on the bubble right?

3) Now for an actual HH:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1210)
SB (t505)
Hero (t1385)
UTG (t938)
MP1 (t592)
MP2 (t2940)
CO (t430)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, UTG calls t70, SB folds.

Turn: (t230) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90.

River: (t410) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: t410

4) With blinds 30-60, me with T1195, 1 limp, I complete in the SB with Ts8s. Flop is TQJ no spades, I fold to BB's bet.

5) Mid-stage, with an above average stack, I'm on the button with A9s. EP min-raiser and I fold, would I have limped?

6) Good Raise amount (3BB)?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1695)
Hero (t1090)
MP (t1133)
CO (t507)
Button (t3265)
SB (t310)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t250

7) Just didn't give him credit when he pushed. I didn't push PF cause I was worried about a PP, then this is stupid call (i was lucky and he showed KJ). In the future, push PF?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1620)
Hero (t1115)
BB (t1133)
UTG (t582)
MP (t3265)
CO (t285)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t350) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t350) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t432 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t432.

River: (t1214) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1214

8)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2080)
Hero (t1747)
UTG (t883)
Button (t3290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of t150.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t883 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t533.

Flop: (t1916) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1916) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1916) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1916

9) Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t4210)
Hero (t3790)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Button calls t200, Hero checks.

Flop: (t800) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t2400) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t2400) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3010 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1790 (All-In).

Final Pot: t8000

was I just asking for touble here?

All right, those are specific hands. Big issue not covered is bubble play. I felt really tight. I pushed AK, AQ, 99 (preflop) and 77 (on an 8 high flop), but never really stole. I had a very tight image (had only shown KK, AK, AQ, and 66, often when uncalled), and people were showing respect for my raises, but Qpopular was a little tilty and I didn't wanna push K8, T8, A3 etc. I feel this was justified because I had a decent stack and the other two guys weren't slowing down. Good analysis or "please, take my chips" strategy?

DJ Sensei
07-08-2005, 02:24 PM
1) yea, clearly a fold. However, if it was folded to you, you can either limp or raise, i prefer a raise. You might pick up the blinds, and if you get called you have a better idea that the caller probably has a respectable hand (makes playing the rest of the hand easier than against an unknown hand that got in for free) QJs is definitely a good enough hand to try and pick up some chips with early, especially with position on the button.

2) Could go either way on this one. You have position on the preflop raiser, the later callers (or at least one of them) will probably also call, so the pot is laying you decent odds to go for a set, your implied odds here are great too. Folding isnt terrible either, its still early and you dont NEED to risk those extra 75 chips. I'd lean towards a call here. About 33, no, you shouldnt be limping low pp on the bubble. You probably shouldnt be limping ANYTHING on the bubble unless stacks are still relatively deep.

3) Looks fine to me, i like the probe bet. I don't really understand UTG's line, looks like another mid-PP or busted high cards. If he bets that low on the turn with what could be busted high cards, no reason not to call. Kind of a weird hand.

4) Good fold, you're either barely ahead or way behind most hands here, and no reason to get involved.

5) Gap concept this one, no way you can call with A9s against an EP minraise. If it folds to you, I'd raise it (like the QJs earlier, although the blinds are more worth taking now, and A9s is a respectable hand to steal with)

6) Yea, this is fine. I'm a big fan of the 175 raise with 25/50 blinds. Sucks nobody called.

7) Coldcalling preflop isnt terrible, but with you out of position, i think raising is a better idea. In either case, I think a probe bet on the flop is a good idea. If he has high cards, he'll probably give it up. If he has a pair, he'll probably push. Check the pot odds and see if calling is worth it. As it played out, the turn push is very suspicious (a better hand would be betting less to get some value out of it, not trying to chase you off), so a call here is questionable, but not terrible if you have a good read on the villain as being a little loco.

8) Looks like the converter is a little screwy here. Assuming you made the raise, then called the push, this is fine. You're getting very good odds to call, even against a pair, and theres only one non-pair hand you're worried about seeing.

9) You got a pair heads up, sweet. Now, you'd be better off leading with a full pot bet, the half pot looks like a steal. The villains minraise could well be a re-steal or high cards. After you both check the turn, i'd check again on the river. If he's got high cards, he might check it down. If he pushes, the 7 didnt really help you all that much. You still only have 2 pair, and unless he also had a 4 or 55 to start with, you arent gonna beat him now. Call a reasonable bet, fold to a push. (Of course, if it was me, i'd probably have pushed to his flop raise, but i dont know if thats a common line)

If your stack is comfortable, and the other bigstacks will call with garbage, dont push your garbage. Thats just asking to gamble for ITM, you're better off picking good spots against the short stack or very good spots against the bigstack.

hope this helps

bluewilde
07-08-2005, 02:50 PM
DJ, thank you so much for taking the time to sift through all that. I really appreciate your input and I've come away feeling reassured and like I learned a couple of things.

Yeah, hand 8 I called and villian flipped over 9s. I sucked out, but wasn't sure if I should have been there in the first place.

The last hand was a bit ridiculous. When I called villian showed 58, and I died a litte on the inside. Absoultely right, a bigger opener or pushing his reraise would have saved the hand on the flop and I'd have taken the chip lead.

Again, thank you,

Blue

DJ Sensei
07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
85? daaaamn, that sucks. but it does go to show that very aggressive play heads up pays off