PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ sng's

2+2 Junkie
07-08-2005, 12:31 PM
I have had trouble winning any kind of money on SNG's. I have played over 30, with one 1st, a third, and the rest out of the money. I have a really good knowledge of limit poker, I know odds, pot odds, implied odds, starting hands and the like, I just seem to either push at the wrong moments or get sucked out.
My question is, is anyone willing to allow me to watch them play some sng's with AIM to let me know what hands you have? That way I can get a feel for how one pushes, what cards they push with, when to steal, when to call all.

I have a good knowledge of the game, made some pretty good money at limit, just wanted to add the sng's to my game and have struggled. Thanks for any advice.

mlagoo
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
must be variance

2+2 Junkie
07-08-2005, 12:37 PM
I am not counting out that there is some variance to it, but i am definitely new to this and I am sure i have made some big mistakes. Would just like to watch a succesful player and pick their brains.

Phill S
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
must be variance

[/ QUOTE ]

And the worst response on this forum ever award goes to...

-----

I hope you find a party regular who will let you watch, but what you can do is get a few usernames of the most common posters (most have revealed themselves one way or another on here) and just follow them around behind the scenes to watch them.

Poker prophesy also does lists of the best ITM players for each level, im sure someone who has bought their product could give you a top 10 list for the best of these at your buy in (over a suitable no of games for statistical 'accuracy').

Following these guys and watching them play would be a fast track to getting better.

Phill

mlagoo
07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
must be variance

[/ QUOTE ]

And the worst response on this forum ever award goes to...

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a joke. i only read the first sentence of this post

just pm one of the people that posts here a whole lot and ask them if they can give you one of their screennames so you can follow them around.

wulfheir
07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Did you read the shadow's post?

littlebu
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I found this link to be the most helpful http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1

2+2 Junkie
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
who's the shadow?

bluefeet
07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
2 for 30 is a pretty tough start regardless of the statistical significants. certainly enough to leave you second guessing every hand you play - not fun. i don't know what steps you've taken in preperation for sng's...make sure you read through the basic strategy posts here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1). if 'pushing at the wrong moments' is a concern of yours, you'll notice that these situations comprise a good majority of the posts here....post yours! personally, i'm not opposed to seeing complete HH posts either. a check-up on your hand selections, PFr, etc. might offer a few quick 'fixes'.

wulfheir
07-08-2005, 12:54 PM
littlebu just posted the link

2+2 Junkie
07-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I have been working on reading through all of shadows links (I am probably half way through). Like you said, I am questioning every move i make. I have had zero success so far, so wondering what I am doing. I guess it seems that when you get down to 5, it becomes and all-in fest, and I find that I fold a lot and so does everyone else. So there is a maniac that does it and gets all the chips. I try it with AJ lets say, and AQ calls. Stuff like that.
But, I know variance can't be this bad. There must be something that I am missing.
Anyone dare to out some of the best players here so i can be that annoying kid who goes along with his dad to a baseball game and ask a thousand questions?

Freudian
07-08-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone dare to out some of the best players here so i can be that annoying kid who goes along with his dad to a baseball game and ask a thousand questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between low limit and the 215s are so big that a lot of the plays that work for the best players transfer poorly to lower limits. Of course the same basic principles apply.

wulfheir
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
AliasMrJones made a nice post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2812779&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) yesterday about coming from limit to SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons the $11's are so beatable is even people with hold 'em experience coming from full table limit don't understand a few key concepts. I came from this background and see the adjustments I made:

1. Playing very tight early, tighter than feels right coming from full table limit. You can literally fold into into the bubble or close to it without losing that much prize money equity. This is especially true because of a lack of understanding of the next key points.

2. As the stack to blind ratio starts to get small (< 10X BB) and the number of players starts to decrease, you should be pushing/folding and pushing with less than feels good from a full table limit ring game perspective. Many players start wild and stay wild (gus hanson syndrome) or start tight and stay tight (OK, maybe not in the $11's). You need to make major adjustments as stack to blind ratio and number of players gets small. You'll see people limping for 1/3 of their stack or raising 40% of their stack and folding to a push late in a SnG or folding waiting for that good hand and letting themselves be blinded down to 1.5XBB so they have no ability to steal blinds any more. (Obviously you don't want to be doing things like this.)

3. Most players don't understand that heads up all-in hand strength is different than full table limit preflop hand strength.

4. Most players don't have much short-handed experience and virtually no heads up experience. I found reading the short handed section of HEPFAP to be helpful.

Don't dispair too much about being down after 90 games. While it probably isn't just variance at this point, it is possible for even a good player to be break even or down after 100 games.

[/ QUOTE ]