PDA

View Full Version : flat over semigloss

turnipmonster
07-08-2005, 12:21 PM
is scuffing the walls with sandpaper sufficient for putting flat over a semigloss? if not, what do I need to do?

--turnipmonster

IndieMatty
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is scuffing the walls with sandpaper sufficient for putting flat over a semigloss? if not, what do I need to do?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to put some primer up man.

Sears Hardware Associate; Massapequa Park, NY 1994-1999. Employee Number 950

turnipmonster
07-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I don't think I need primer, it's a dark color over a light yellow. quit trying to sell me cheap paint /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd like to get away with two coats and not 3, and primer is an extra coat and I'm lazy.

--turnipmonster

astroglide
07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
i hope this is for some kind of no-traffic area. finger prints/grease (which often take with just a touch), stains, etc are problematic with flat paint.

kipin
07-08-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i hope this is for some kind of no-traffic area. finger prints/grease (which often take with just a touch), stains, etc are problematic with flat paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, a good compromise is an eggshell sheen. I know Home Depot sells good quality paints in eggshell, all other stores probably do as well.

astroglide
07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
my whole place is eggshell. one painter insisted that it HAD to be spray painted, and that rollers would ruin it. rollers worked just fine, so don't let anybody snow you there if that's a popular thing.

Jersey Nick
07-08-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I need primer, it's a dark color over a light yellow. quit trying to sell me cheap paint /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd like to get away with two coats and not 3, and primer is an extra coat and I'm lazy.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]
Go with Benjamin Moore and get the primer in the same color as the final coat.

turnipmonster
07-08-2005, 02:57 PM
good point, I just called and switched to eggshell!

turnipmonster
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
hey astro, did you do 1 or 2 coats of eggshell?

swede123
07-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I painted a few rooms last year and it seems with today's quality latex paints you can usually get by with a single coat. Once it dries some you might notice spots that need touching up but I wouldn't say you need two full coats for interior areas.

Swede

MrsNolanFan
07-08-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> If you think scuffing with sandpaper and then cleaning up that mess before rolling on your 1-2 coats of paint is going to be easier than throwing on a coat of primer... good luck to ya! </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
07-08-2005, 04:39 PM
it was 2-3 coats sprayed for most of the place. i got it done by a real cheapass and it showed. i had a pro guy come in and do touchups and also change the color on one of the bedrooms. it went from a darkish blue to a middling green, he rolled it with ONE coat and it covered it. it was porter brand paint fwiw.

somethingstupid
07-09-2005, 03:23 AM
elbow grease

Monkeyslacks
07-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Stick it in her pooper!