PDA

View Full Version : For Discussion: Colon Cleansers -Colonix

IndieMatty
07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm a bit hungover, and just doing some surfing. My friend sends me links all the time and this one... well, I thought I was too tired for OOT today, somethings deserve a post.

This Site:

http://www.drnatura.com

What the [censored] is all of this about?

These people are seeing miracles by pooping out stuff like this: web page (http://www.drnatura.com/picture_gallery.html)

WARNING WARNING WARNING, GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS; BUT A GIRL SENT IT TO ME AND IF YOU CAN'T STOMACH IT THEN YOU'RE WEAK LITTLE GIRL; GIRLYMAN!!!

http://www.drnatura.com/picturegallery/images/6-2-2005-02.jpg

MoreWineII
07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
I hate you.

IndieMatty
07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girlyman.

Soul Daddy
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Is that a small intestine?
I'd take a picture of that [censored] too.

The once and future king
07-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Better out than in.

chaas4747
07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
If I saw something like that in my toilet I would go to the Dr.

Ulysses
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Are you gonna do it? I think I am. I know people who have had high colonics and they also report all manner of junk coming out. I just never felt comfortable about doing that, though.

ThaSaltCracka
07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
those pics are disgusting

IndieMatty
07-08-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you gonna do it? I think I am. I know people who have had high colonics and they also report all manner of junk coming out. I just never felt comfortable about doing that, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never considered it. This girl I know is.

FYI. I went to ONO last night at the Gansevoort. I'm not one for these chi-chi trendy places, but easily one of the better meals I've had in the city.

ThaSaltCracka
07-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I feel like taking a dump now.

Wakko
07-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Man, am I hungry now.

Sponger15SB
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick it in your pooper

STLantny
07-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I think Ill give this a shot. I have been on a bodybuilding/high protien diet for forever. Ive wanted to try something like this, but did not want to get something shoved in my pooper. Ill report. No pics. Unless you are lucky.

PokerNoob
07-08-2005, 04:23 PM
"When photographer Anthony Cullen heard the clank of glass on porcelain, he didn't need to examine the contents of the toilet bowl between his legs. He instinctively knew he had just passed the marble he had swallowed as a five-year-old; the small coloured sphere - "I think it was a bluey" - had lodged in his colon for 22 years. His nonchalance was understandable. Having flushed 400 pints of coffee and vinegar solution around his large intestine through 10 enemas, and taken 100 herbal laxatives, he had become hardened to extraordinary sights. He had already excreted yards of long stringy mucus "with a strange yellow glaze", several hard black pellets and numerous pieces of undigested rump steak. Like an iceberg breaking away from a glacier, the marble was simply the latest object to drop off the furred up wall of his colon."

Story continues... (http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,663391,00.html)

JMP300z
07-08-2005, 05:07 PM
ugh...if that stuff really comes out and you really pass worms and [censored] like that....ugh...argh....

Anyways, if you do this and it works, post a follow up.
As much as I dont want to do it, the thought of having that stuff in my body is even worse.

Still skeptical.

-JP

Blarg
07-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Looks like taffy to me. I call fake.

Brain
07-08-2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.liquid-plumr.com/images/bottle_big_gel.jpg

ChipWrecked
07-08-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, ElD. With all the steak you eat, you should leave the tech a very large tip.

cbfair
07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
This is crazy. I'm thinking about doing it too. I read the pages for a minute or two and realized I'd been holding one in... I went immediately. I feel much better now.

I liked this testimonial:

[ QUOTE ]
‘I felt as though I gave birth and/or passed an alien this morning. I was thinking of saving it, putting a collar on it, and taking it for a walk.’

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done some cleansing diets before but never seen anything solid and funky like people are talking about here. Kinda makes me wonder...

cbfair
07-09-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen taffy that looked anything like that. Did you look at the other pictures? nasty stuff.

istewart
07-09-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick it in your pooper

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD. Nice one.

ChipWrecked
07-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Effin' fetishists. Did you catch the pics where the stuff is being held up with a plastic spoon? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Analyst
07-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Without even bothering to follow the link, I can tell you that this is a bunch of . . . well, you know.

As it happens, I had a colonoscopy just today (yeah, wait until you get older!) and can tell you from direct observation that there just ain't nothing up there, at least not anything "just passing through".

All this stuff about food staying around and decaying for months/years/decades is nothing more than a scam that seems to re-emerge every so often. Ask your doctor about it. Dean Edell has reported on it a number of occasions as well.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen taffy that looked anything like that. Did you look at the other pictures? nasty stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of scared to!

I've thought of doing this kind of thing, too. I read the article on the guy who went to the clinic, and it was pretty good and interesting. I've often wondered if all that gum I swallowed as a kid is still in there.

nd I had hookworms as a kid; I wonder if any survived, because I've felt weird stuff wiggling around at night before. I always figured it was probably my digestion, but the thought that it might be worms is kinda frightening. A friend of mine who is a nurse told me that in the work with corpses they had to do in school, every single corpse had worms in it -- often lots of worms. Not just in the belly, either, but in all kinds of weird places. It's kind of terrifying in its own way.

As to the Colonix, it looks like most of the cleansing effect is from simple psyllium husks, which are far cheaper than what they charge, but they do have the anti-parasitic pills in there. That sounds kind of cool. I mean, if what this nurse friend of mine tells me is right and we pretty much all have worms and parasites, and they can definitely drain nutrients and screw up your health, I guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of mine.

We should bump this thread if anyone gets that treatment. Kind of like the push-up thread they started. "Today I did three more push-ups than I could do last week and crapped a two-foot tapeworm and a blue nodule!" Now that could make for some good reading.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Who's Dean Edell?

By the way, one term I read on the Colonix site was "colonic plaque." Had to admit, it had a scary sound to it.

cbfair
07-09-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you catch the pics where the stuff is being held up with a plastic spoon? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a post the other day about someone's step-father crapping all over the toilet?

Does it look like this? (http://www.drnatura.com/picturegallery/ct_08.html)

Analyst
07-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Edell bio (http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/deanabout.html)

The whole "junk builds up inside your colon" is complete quackery. Ask your MD or, better still, a colorectal surgeon who sees this stuff (or doesn't see it, for there's nothing to see) every day.

Skipbidder
07-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I haven't read the replies so far in this post. I am not planning on reading them.

The internet is full of very bad health information. Many people like make recommendations to you, and most of them don't know what they are talking about. I suspect that some of the posts in this very thread will be recommendations from people who think that they are being helpful but are not.

You do not need colon cleansing. You do not need colon cleansing. You do not need colon cleansing.

You will see claims that people were found with huge amounts of decaying food in their digestive tract on autopsy (John Wayne is commonly cited) or some nutjob reporter telling you that he passed a marble that he swallowed when he was a kid. These are bull. Some quacks (and some of them are MDs) talk about mucoid plaques. There is no such thing as a mucoid plaque. Any one who tells you there is is a moron. If they are an MD, they should lose their license. (Luckily for the quacks, I'm not in charge of such things.)

There are regimens to get rid of "mucoid plaques". Look for them to contain bentonite clay and some sort of herb for coloring. The clay forms casts of your bowel and looks horrible because of the coloring imparted by the rest of the regimen.

There are regimens to clear gallstones. They don't work either. You will find that they have something like olive oil, epsom salts, and orange juice in them. You form your own "gallstones". You will see them in the toilet the next day. Not only [censored], but bullshit. If you check an ultrasound of your gallbladder before and after such a regimen, you will find that you still have the same stones before and after. Once again, the ingredients of the regimen actually cause the "gallstones".

You will find a nutjob named Hulda Clark (she isn't a doctor, even though she still claims to be) trying to get you to do cleanses to clear out "worms". Same story, ingredients of the flush create the results.

You can find all sorts of internet pictures from people doing these things. You probably don't want to be eating if you go searching for these pictures.

Anybody recommending that you do these things is a moron. Period. They either don't know what they are talking about and aren't smart enough to realize that, or they do know better and are recommending that you do so anyway, which means that they should be shot.

If you happen to know a doctor that you personally trust, ask them if they have ever seen or performed a colonoscopy or a capsule endoscopy. (I've seen many.) After an adequate bowel prep (golytely, which is ironically named...there is nothing light about the way you go), the bowel is very clean. Ridiculously clean. No gastroenterologist has ever seen a mucoid plaque. They don't exist.

I'm not going to read any of this thread, because I simply don't need the aggravation. I can almost guarantee that some of the responses are recommending these things or giving testimonials about them. I don't want to take the chance of finding out that someone I like is an idiot. If anyone wants more information, they can PM me. I can provide you more information about various regimens. I'd be happy to respond to good-faith questions (although it may take me a day or two to get back to you.)

If you want to argue about what I've said, save your breath. You are wrong, and you are hurting people with your stupid advice. And, if you are like almost everyone else on the internet, you think that you are qualified to give advice about health issues when you are not. I hope you get hit by a bus.

Ulysses
07-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm.. I know a couple of people who have gone on fast/cleanse retreats and they told me all sort of junk came out - similar to the article linked in this thread. From skip's message it sounds like that junk was created by the very stuff they were taking in to help do the cleansing. Fascinating. OK, no Colonix for me.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 06:37 PM
LOL. Talk about over the top.

Hey, your heart's in the right place though. But nobody in this thread gave any testimonials. They were just showing links and wondering.

I am kind of curious about worms, though, to tell you the truth. My mom had a tapeworm when she was a kid, and I had hookworms as a kid, so I understand humans do indeed get different types of worms, since it's happened in my own family. I wouldn't mind getting rid of those, if I had them.

Personally, my own program to flush my system involves eating a lot of raw fresh vegetables in salads, making at least one meal a day a big, quite varied salad. Good for me, tastes good, low calorie, and it goes through my system VERY fast compared to more starchy, meat-laden diets. And it's a lifestyle, not a temporary thing. I still eat meat, but very much in moderation. I used to carry poop for days and days, and getting rid of it was traumatic, but now go for two days at the most between eliminations. More often I go once a day, and easily, with no straining. For a guy with my slow digestion, the change definitely has been the kind of thing to get excited about.

That changes as soon as I cut down the roughage. Then everything gets backed up, sometimes pretty severely. Everyone's different I guess, but I need quite a bit of roughage or I get bloated and feel a lot of kind of scary pressure in my abdomen, and then a downhill spiral starts that overlaps into my mood, ability to concentrate, etc.

Anyway, I'm still curious about what I may not be able to change with diet or be able to judge I even have, like worms. That's creepy as hell. I agree with the bentonite clay casts of your intestine being deceiving to people; the idea of flushing worms, though, seems more creepy and intriguing.

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The whole "junk builds up inside your colon" is complete quackery. Ask your MD or, better still, a colorectal surgeon who sees this stuff (or doesn't see it, for there's nothing to see) every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these the same MDs whose solution to all health problems is to hack up your body and give you drugs?

Ulysses
07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
TMI, Blarg.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Heh, yeah. It's kind of a WTF?? subject. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ddubois
07-09-2005, 07:55 PM
To be clear, are you denying the human body will often contain worm-like parasites? Because I saw something on Discover about this topic, and I considered them reputable.

Analyst
07-09-2005, 07:57 PM
BRAVO!

End of thread - Skip's post says it all.

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 07:59 PM
So, people who get colonics are just seeing hallucinations in the tube?

Edit: meant this as a reply to Skip's post.

stanky
07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Tim, did you read this part?

[ QUOTE ]
There are regimens to get rid of "mucoid plaques". Look for them to contain bentonite clay and some sort of herb for coloring. The clay forms casts of your bowel and looks horrible because of the coloring imparted by the rest of the regimen

[/ QUOTE ]

Analyst
07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these the same MDs whose solution to all health problems is to hack up your body and give you drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be the MDs who actually have facts by direct observation (thousands of times for colorectal surgeons) and research published in peer-reviewed journals, yes.

Do I blindly believe everything I'm told, even by an MD? No, though I'll give it high credence to start. In this particular case, the evidence is overwhelming, no, it is unanimous that "colon cleansing" is snake-oil in the purest form.

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tim, did you read this part?

[ QUOTE ]
There are regimens to get rid of "mucoid plaques". Look for them to contain bentonite clay and some sort of herb for coloring. The clay forms casts of your bowel and looks horrible because of the coloring imparted by the rest of the regimen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I specified a colonic, not taking colored pills.

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be the MDs who actually have facts by direct observation (thousands of times for colorectal surgeons) and research published in peer-reviewed journals, yes.

Do I blindly believe everything I'm told, even by an MD? No, though I'll give it high credence to start. In this particular case, the evidence is overwhelming, no, it is unanimous that "colon cleansing" is snake-oil in the purest form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twenty years ago, MDs unanimously agreed that vitamin pills were a complete waste of money. Now, many of them recommend taking supplements.

Analyst
07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Twenty years ago, MDs unanimously agreed that vitamin pills were a complete waste of money. Now, many of them recommend taking supplements.

[/ QUOTE ]

As to the subject at hand, do you have any reputable evidence whatsoever that contradicts the mountains of direct observation (probably millions of patients by now) and research that shows the "toxic build up" problem supposedly addressed by colon cleansing to be totally non-existant?

As to vitamins, doctors can and should change their recommendations when merited by new research and evidence (there's that word again . . .). Do you think they should not? If so, you're dealing more with faith than science, and I know which direction I'll follow when it comes to my health. You're free to choose otherwise, of course.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 08:54 PM
To be fair, you kind of cheated and sidestepped his point unfairly. Which was not that doctors ARE wrong at any particular point in time or cannot become more and more right, but that some ideas about health accepted as perfectly reasonable and correct, even by the best scientific minds, could actually be flawed, though we may not know it at the time. After all, scientists are only human beings and there's still a lot of scientific knowledge left to discover and refine.

Which I don't believe is a criticism in the slightest of science or scientists. Unless we assume they have some sort of willful bad intent on their part, we're pretty safe in figuring they're doing the best they can with what they have.

I'm not choosing any sides here, but just trying to keep the argument fair. The thread seems to be getting strangely explosive here, which is how knowledge gets obscured or buried, not shared. It's great to have doctors weighing in, but credentials aren't a substitute for communication.

IndieMatty
07-09-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, you kind of cheated and sidestepped his point unfairly. Which was not that doctors ARE wrong at any particular point in time or cannot become more and more right, but that some ideas about health accepted as perfectly reasonable and correct, even by the best scientific minds, could actually be flawed, though we may not know it at the time. After all, scientists are only human beings and there's still a lot of scientific knowledge left to discover and refine.

Which I don't believe is a criticism in the slightest of science or scientists. Unless we assume they have some sort of willful bad intent on their part, we're pretty safe in figuring they're doing the best they can with what they have.

I'm not choosing any sides here, but just trying to keep the argument fair. The thread seems to be getting strangely explosive here , which is how knowledge gets obscured or buried, not shared. It's great to have doctors weighing in, but credentials aren't a substitute for communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to post some funny poop pictures. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 09:24 PM
If you're willing to believe that every single person who has reported passing worms, marbles, etc. is lying, then no, there is no evidence. Can you give me a link to these research studies that you refer to so I can consider the other side?

I'm free to choose my own treatments, to a point, although there are laws constantly being passed that make that more difficult.

Blarg
07-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Funny haha or funny Paulie Shore? Those pictures are scary.

They really made me think something was up that was fishy, though. I could definitely see that being the result of bentonite clay assuming weird shapes in your bowels and then being shat out. I couldn't see someone walking around for years with a chain-link fence inside them and not knowing it, much less having enough of those inside them to do it for day after day. Heck, there's just not enough room. They may be being crapped out, but they'd have to be made daily. The clay seems the obvious culprit as to how that could be done.

cbfair
07-10-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The internet is full of very bad health information. Many people like make recommendations to you, and most of them don't know what they are talking about. I suspect that some of the posts in this very thread will be recommendations from people who think that they are being helpful but are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

no question this is true on all counts.

[ QUOTE ]
You do not need colon cleansing. You do not need colon cleansing. You do not need colon cleansing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be true but that's not neccsarily been proven. See your points above.

[ QUOTE ]
There are regimens to get rid of "mucoid plaques". Look for them to contain bentonite clay and some sort of herb for coloring. The clay forms casts of your bowel and looks horrible because of the coloring imparted by the rest of the regimen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any reference to "mucoid plaques" or gallstones at the referenced site. Nor do any of the products contain bentonite clay, according to the Ingredients (http://www.drnatura.com/index.php#Colonix_Pack_Ingredients) .

Guar gum is the closest I could see as any type of thickening agent although, I believe its actually used as an anti-caking agent for the powder.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to argue about what I've said, save your breath. You are wrong, and you are hurting people with your stupid advice. And, if you are like almost everyone else on the internet, you think that you are qualified to give advice about health issues when you are not. I hope you get hit by a bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not interested in arguing nor has anyone in this thread claimed to be an expert or offered a testimonial. No one has claimed to truly know anything for that matter, until you came along, that is. Will you please educate us? Clearly you have some experience in these matters which many of us can benefit from.

KaneKungFu123
07-10-2005, 09:01 AM
the moment i opened the website i could tell it was all bullshit. just from the way its all laid out and their approach.

clue: if this stuff was true then it would be widely studied and practiced by the medical community.

i guess its too gross to run ads on late night TV with the Bigger Boob Pills....

wait a few years, and these guys will probally be indicted, or in aruba w/ 10 million.

BeerMoney
07-10-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TMI, Blarg.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo, this is kind of dissapointing. I put you above lame comments like "TMI". What's next "Dude, u need to get laid"?

Diplomat
07-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Bleh. Just eat spicier food.

-Diplomat

Analyst
07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not choosing any sides here, but just trying to keep the argument fair. The thread seems to be getting strangely explosive here, which is how knowledge gets obscured or buried, not shared. It's great to have doctors weighing in, but credentials aren't a substitute for communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair and accurate assessment, and I agree with your comments completely. There are areas where the knowledge base is changing rapidly, sometimes frustratingly so. Tim's example of nutritional supplements is the poster child here - "it's good for you" then "you don't need it" then "it's bad for you" then back around again. It always pays to do your own research on top of the doc's recommendations, provided you find legitimate sources.

In this particular case, however, there is no such uncertainty. Doctors know by direct observation (for decades in the case of colonoscopy) exactly what does and does not go on in the normal intestine. The mainstream medical literature would be full of examples of the phenomenon purported by the colon-cleansing quacks, if what they claimed was true. But as in the case of the "dog that didn't bark", the lack of any such legitimate evidence shows quite clearly the quackery at hand.

Analyst
07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to believe that every single person who has reported passing worms, marbles, etc. is lying, then no, there is no evidence. Can you give me a link to these research studies that you refer to so I can consider the other side?

I'm free to choose my own treatments, to a point, although there are laws constantly being passed that make that more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, the evidence is more the lack of any legitimate evidence showing the hardened/decaying gunk phenomena claimed by the colon-cleansers. It is, however, discussed here Quackwatch (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html) and Ernst study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=925283 9&dopt=Abstract ).

After decades of direct observation, don't you think the mainstream medical literature would show supporting evidence for the need of colon-cleansing for the average person? Yet there is none, at least not for people with normal intestines. If I'm wrong, I welcome the colon-cleansers to support their extraordinary claims with references.

swede123
07-11-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
colon-cleansers

[/ QUOTE ]

This strikes me as hilarious, referring to a group of people as colon-cleansers. Are you a republican? Democrat? No, I'm a colon-cleanser, so back off!

Swede

Blarg
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
That quackwatch was a good link. I loved the crazed rebuttal at the end by the reader who said a second brain has been discovered in the wall of our intestines.

I still find the claim that it's okay to go days and days without eliminating to not be a healthy bit of advice. While the level of long-term harm it may cause is not something I could guess, it's a big quality of life thing. If you're bloated, fatigued, getting headaches, etc., which quackwatch says is just normal from the stretching of a distended colon -- well, it's still better not to have those symptoms and suffer those effects. So at least as far as the use of psyllium husks is in those colon treatments to provide fiber, there seems to be some real benefit in terms of energy and general quality of life in lots of fiber in your diet so you can be very regular. A "hands off" approach to keeping your digestive system chugging along at a good rate has its own unnecessary downsides.

Noted too on the quackwatch site is that constipation should be measured by the hardness of the stools. Well, the longer that stuff stays in there, the more water is drained, and the harder the stool becomes. When less regular, your crap can be very hard to pass, all the while gathering size, which makes it even harder to pass again. If you can prevent having large, hard stools making elimination painful, as well as the symptoms of fatigue, headache, nausea, etc., described as the legitimate products of a distended colon, you might as well do it. Fiber seems adequate for that task, and the psyllium husks that colonic cleansers seem to have as the main ingredient actually will accomplish the goal of making you more regular. However, you can get them for 1/3 the price or less sometimes that you can at a place like Colonix. Metamucil is cheap and available at any drugstore. And of course, if you're eating a lot of fibrous vegetables and fruits, you're getting at least some measure of healthy fiber for free.