PDA

View Full Version : what's your plan after that

euri10
07-08-2005, 10:56 AM
imagine you lost against someone with 76542 a big pot.
it affects your play a little but you're not steaming that much..
a few hands later, someone who wasn't invloved in that hand but who was at the table makes a "silly" thing :

you are with position with X7542, you raise preflop, this guy calls.
you discard 1, he discards 3
check , bet
1 / 2
check, bet
1 / 1
you touch a 9 and the guy checks.

I'm not a big fan of betting that kind of 9 but in front of a 3/2/1 I think this is not that incorrect, but we can discuss.

now the guy raises me !

I don't know why, more precisly I know that this is because I'm steaming a little, I call.

The guy shows me a 96 and wins the pot....

What do u think of that, how do you play him after that ? you mostly play 3 handed to 4 handed.

fnord_too
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Attack and value bet him ruthlessly. Especially attack his BB. If he is that loose pre first draw, continues drawing probably incorrectly, and overvalues weak hands on the river when you both draw one, you really want to be involved with him in hands where you have position and a hand that is slightly behind at first or better.

I think your value bet on the end is fine. I think calling is fine, too, even if he is not tricky just to see what he check raises there. (Calling another one I would not advocate without an 875ish or better, but now ya know!) I think villain plays very poorly based on this hand. If this is purely because you were steaming, and he took the worst of it hoping to get you steaming more, then maybe he is a player to be respected; but if this is anything close to normal for him, and from my experience this type of play is not uncommon, sit to his left and enjoy a nice EV situation.

randomstumbl
07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Betting a 9 for value is a good play when both players draw one on the last round. Calling the check-raise is a good idea until you know your opponent better. Against some players, you're winning the pot (I wouldn't be surprised to see a big pair). When you lose, you gain information about the other player. If you start getting check-raised on the river a lot, you probably should evaluate your betting frequency though.

What is the player trying to do by check-raising a 96xxx? I'm saying he's an overaggressive player until I see him do something that changes my mind.

In this situation, you've got to make hands and not break them. Anytime you get a hand that you'd normally break that has showdown value, just try to get it to showdown cheaply (i.e. let him bet every street if that's his perogative). If he eventually stops getting overaggressive, you'll need to pick up the slack.

Any time you're very likely ahead - raise. This guy is probably going to try to get you to break every hand you have. You need to punish him with smooth 8's and any 7. On the other hand, don't get carried away with your rough hands. Win small to medium sized pots with your rough hands and win the big pots with your good hands.

timprov
07-08-2005, 03:37 PM
His check-raise is kind of nutty.

I typically won't bet a hand worse than 876 unless I know I can fold it to a raise. Against an unknown I'd just check behind here. In order to bet it I'd need to:

a) see him make a lot of loose calls
and
b) not see him make loose raises.

randomstumbl
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Do you bluff every pair then? Every pair and some face cards? Or are you just getting check-raised constantly by 96?

It just seems like your opponent can either call or fold with tens through aces. There has to be some way to extract value from that decision.

timprov
07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
I take a lot of free showdowns when I semi-miss on the last draw. OOP I bet a lot more hands, though with a 9 I'll usually check-call.

Against most players, I won't get called by a worse hand very often, and a better hand is never folding.

Luv2DriveTT
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I take a lot of free showdowns when I semi-miss on the last draw. OOP I bet a lot more hands, though with a 9 I'll usually check-call.

Against most players, I won't get called by a worse hand very often, and a better hand is never folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like Timprov's strategy is sound, its really no different from mine, except I will occasionally throw in a check raise with a mediocre hand to assure a win or something similar (pot size and player dependant of course). I have also been known to get caught stealing, thats the best time to change course immediately to play against your opponents knowledge.

I've seen a few hyper-aggressive players recently, ala the type the OP discussed. The best strategy is to be patient, and value bet your 865xx hands or better relentlessly, or to check your pat hands to induce a bluff on the river.

TT