PDA

View Full Version : Rec. League Softball Question

CollinEstes
07-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Last week in Beaumont Texas, I 22 year old kid was killed playing in a rec. league softball game when he was running to first and a bad throw from short hit him in the back of the head.

I am just curious if anyone plays in any softball rec leagues in your area and if you guys are required to wear helmets. I play and don't wear a helmet but now I think it is kind of stupid not too. It really isn't that big of deal to wear one and people that play aren't that good and they will make bad throws.

PhatTBoll
07-08-2005, 11:15 AM
We're talking slow pitch here, right?

If you're going to wear a helmet while playing slow pitch softball, you might as well wear one whenever you go out in public. Freak accidents happen.

CollinEstes
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah but you are more likely to get hit in baseball in the head when you are running the bases. It happens all the time. When you are hitting you can get out of the way sometimes, but on the bases if you aren't looking you can get hit pretty easily running to first.

TeeJayORTj
07-09-2005, 01:27 AM
We were playing in a game and our OF who has a gun tried to cut a guy down at home. He was some big oak of a man and the ball nailed him right in the head. THe ball was a rocket and the guy didnt even fall...it was amazing.

But anyways no way anyone wears a helmet.

M2d
07-09-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to wear a helmet while playing slow pitch softball, you might as well wear one whenever you go out in public. Freak accidents happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
but remember to get different color helmets to match all of your dresses.