PDA

View Full Version : Best Action Movie of the 80s - Final Four

swede123
07-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Getting down to the best of the best here. Only four remain, and we got a Harrison Ford vs. Harrison Ford matchup and an Arnold vs. Arnold matchup, good times.

Also, do you want me to pit the losers of today's matchup against each other to determine who gets third place?

Here are the matchups:

samjjones
07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
I think PREDATOR can steal this competition!

samjjones
07-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Arnold is so bad ass in this movie, he gets shot with a laser and brushes it off:

http://www.magma.ca/~rsarkar/Pictures/arnie.gif

CollinEstes
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm right here-a, I right here-a. Come get me, I'm right here-a

ElSapo
07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Could make for an interetsing final, but Raiders has got to win. I remember watching that as a kid, and I couldn't bear to watch the guys face melt off. These days, it's just kind of funny.

Rick Diesel
07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
It's amazing how many Star Wars nerds are on this forum.

ChipWrecked
07-08-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Star Wars leads to nerds. Nerds leads to computers. Computers leads to internet. Internet leads to forums.

samjjones
07-08-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Great observation. Thanks for noting.

MoreWineII
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
"Luke, I am your father" is one of the greatest moments in movie history. While Raiders definitely deservers to be in the top four, maybe top three, this decision isn't close.

swede123
07-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I knew it would be a close race between Indiana Jones and Star Wars, but I wasn't expecting Terminator to run away with it. Predator has so many more cool lines and cool characters...but I guess I'm in the minority thinking that.

Swede

samjjones
07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew it would be a close race between Indiana Jones and Star Wars, but I wasn't expecting Terminator to run away with it. Predator has so many more cool lines and cool characters...but I guess I'm in the minority thinking that.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you're not. The original Terminator is like Arnold's 4th or 5th best film. T2 blows Terminator away, and its not close.

Yeti
07-08-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
T2 blows Terminator away, and its not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

I propose a poll on this after the final.

tdarko
07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
i voted for cobra and first blood.

wayabvpar
07-08-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you're not. The original Terminator is like Arnold's 4th or 5th best film. T2 blows Terminator away, and its not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Philistine.

tdarko
07-08-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
good thing this is an 80's poll then.

samjjones
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why wait for this poll to end? Its a separate question. Start it up!

lucas9000
07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how many people want to see pictures of whiplash on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Phoenix1010
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

T2 is far and away the greatest action movie of all time. Someone make the damn poll. And no sci fi/fantasy in the next one. Star Wars is not an action movie, neither is the Lord of the Rings, neither is Harry Potter. Die Hard not making the final four is a travesty.

lucas9000
07-08-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

T2 is far and away the greatest action movie of all time. Someone make the damn poll. And no sci fi/fantasy in the next one. Star Wars is not an action movie, neither is the Lord of the Rings, neither is Harry Potter. Die Hard not making the final four is a travesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think t2 is sci-fi or fantasy? robots travel through time to battle humans, dude.

Phoenix1010
07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Clearly the plot is science fiction, but the plot serves as a backdrop for the action in action films, whereas the setting and plot are the cornerstones of space dramas and fantasy world adventures.

lucas9000
07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the plot is science fiction, but the plot serves as a backdrop for the action in action films, whereas the setting and plot are the cornerstones of space dramas and fantasy world adventures.

[/ QUOTE ]

i call bullsh*t

Phoenix1010
07-08-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i call bullsh*t

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. If you own a video store, and you have a sci-fi/fantasy section and an action section, are you seriously saying you put T2 in the former? Where do you put Star Wars?

swede123
07-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Why would you have a sci-fi section if you didn't put movies like T2 there? What about the many sci-fi movies that are sci-fi/horror (Alien)? What about sci-fi/drama (2001)? If you are going to be a nit only about ten movies of the 64 picked would be pure action. Just about everything these days is a crossover of some kind. Does Star Wars have action? Bingo! And don't even get me going on Lord of the Rings. I can hardly think of a better example of a series of action movies.

Swede

Phoenix1010
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you have a sci-fi section if you didn't put movies like T2 there? What about the many sci-fi movies that are sci-fi/horror (Alien)? What about sci-fi/drama (2001)? If you are going to be a nit only about ten movies of the 64 picked would be pure action. Just about everything these days is a crossover of some kind. Does Star Wars have action? Bingo! And don't even get me going on Lord of the Rings. I can hardly think of a better example of a series of action movies.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Every movie with an action scene is an action movie then. The Godfather II is the greatest action movie of all time.

I disagree with some of the selections, but I do think that the poll is well run. Didn't mean any disrespect to the OP.

MrWookie47
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how many people want to see pictures of whiplash on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

ptmusic
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and Bloodsport is a martial arts film, not an action film!

-ptmusic

swede123
07-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Bumping in case anyone's missed it.

Swede

ChipWrecked
07-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Bump. This shouldn't be below the 8-round poll.

swede123
07-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Anyone else want to vote? I'll probably put up the final tonight or tomorrow.

Swede

7ontheline
07-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I also can't believe Predator is getting smoked here. Maybe it's just because I was a kid when Predator came out, but there was nothing better because all the guys had their own cool guns (Jesse Ventura's Gatling gun, Pancho's grenade launchers, etc.) You could run around in the yard with 4 other kids and all have cool weapons.

kerssens
07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I just broke the tie in the Empire/Raiders match

Tron
07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put it back together.

TimTimSalabim
07-09-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put it back together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just put the Empire back on top /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Luke, I'm your father!

EliteNinja
07-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Star Wars vs. Indiana Jones
currently:
71-71

Bloodsport should get honourable mention.
Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

"Are you a Ducks? You look like a Ducks!"
"OK USA!"

shant
07-10-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]