PDA

View Full Version : Good Push on $25 9-max?

Coolers
07-08-2005, 05:38 AM
I've been playing 6-max $50 NL on Party for roughly the past 30,000 hands. I play mainly to chase the various PP bonuses and have been really complacent about playing winning poker simply because I'm making decent coin from the bonuses.

This obviously needs to change. I started off playing full limit, and the hands I'm willing to play in NL reflect that. I undervalue suited connectors and overvalue AJo in EP.

My stats for the past 11,107 hands since reformatting are:
VPIP: 19.95%
Total $: 146.21

So. I have no problem keeping up with 4-tabling 6-max $50 NL (albeit poorly), and have no desire to return to limit. Figure I might as well try to make money from playing poker that I would otherwise be doing anyways. Here's a hand from $25 NL (I was reading SSNL and followed one of my favourite fish at this table, my one and only)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 ($15)
MP2 ($17.5)
MP3 ($10)
CO ($4.15)
Button ($28.65)
SB ($26.43)
BB ($48.4)
UTG ($43.25)
Hero ($34.05)

~350 hands on UTG, 71%/0%, 0.34 postflop agg.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, SB folds, UTG calls $1.25.

What do you guys think about the bet size?

Turn: ($7) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $13.3</font>, Hero calls $25.15 (All-In)

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 05:58 AM
WRT hand:
push is fine, raise the flop to 4-5 and get it all in ASAP.

WRT poker:
your numbers are fine, but you need to change how/where they are.

in limit it's like this VPIP wise:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
=|
=|
V|
P|
$|_____
I| _____
P| ______
=| _________
=|_________________________
=Button-----------------UTG
</pre><hr />
(sorta linear)

and in NL it's like this:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
=|
=|
V|_
P| __
$| ___
I| ____
P| _____
=| __________
=|_________________________
=Button----------------------UTG
</pre><hr />
(more exponential)

and obviously the whole PP's up big offsuits down thing.

fim

barongreenback
07-08-2005, 06:05 AM
I hate it when someone min bets here, forcing you to reveal your strength but you need to raise more (say to $3 or $4) if he has something he'll call anyway and you don't want a gutshot calling cheaply. That little bit extra money on the flop makes it so much easier to get all in later. If everyone folds, so be it.

James

Coolers
07-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks for replying fimbulwinter. I was actually studying a post (linked below) of yours while playing. The problem I have is with regards to the number of starting hands I'm willing to play. Your post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1618086&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=all&amp;vc=1) seems to advocate a playing style greater than 40% VPIP, whereas mine is currently in the range of full limit. Also, could you clarify a couple things for me? Which Ax do you play in what position? Secondly, I find it hard to call LOT in LP with limpers. How do you justify calling 4,2 in a pot with one limper, and two blinds to act behind you?

Finally, what would you have put him on?

Thanks for the insight.

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for replying fimbulwinter. I was actually studying a post (linked below) of yours while playing. The problem I have is with regards to the number of starting hands I'm willing to play. Your post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1618086&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=all&amp;vc=1) seems to advocate a playing style greater than 40% VPIP, whereas mine is currently in the range of full limit. Also, could you clarify a couple things for me? Which Ax do you play in what position? Secondly, I find it hard to call LOT in LP with limpers. How do you justify calling 4,2 in a pot with one limper, and two blinds to act behind you?

Thanks for the insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

woah there, i would never advocate VPIP 40 as optimal in a 6max/tenmax situation. I was simply having fun in that post while clearing a bonus, however the points i make are serious. in a tenmax game it is very difficult to turn a profit playing more than 30% of hands unless stacks are very deep and opponents very bad. 6max is a little more foggy, but still, playing tight is right in the vast majority of cases.

as for your questions:
1. Ax to me means A9o and below. I rarely play these hands, even 6max. maybe for blind stealing, but that's a very high variance, marginal +EV move, so don't ever feel bad about just chucking Ax.
2. calling 42 with a short stack in front of me and aggro blinds is a loser, calling with a deep, bad player in front and passive blinds is fine. remember that players in NL repsect position much more and are less likely to bet out of the blinds and a limit player holding say KJs.
a simple justification, say he has 100BB's+, could be that it costs me 1.5BB on average to play the hand (raises etc.) and i'll stack him say 4 times/400 instances and he'll stack me once per 400 (gross oversimplification). that's an overall value of .125 BB's per play. obviously not high return, but profitable given the right conditions.

fim