PDA

View Full Version : When the villian checks the turn, raises the river

Alpha13
07-08-2005, 04:58 AM
Super drawy board, however the villian is not aggro enough to cap a draw (he's actually a little passive) I've been running into these turn check/river raise plays a lot, with hands like this one should I be looking to put in that value bet on the river when I'm not too confident with my hand?

Thanks

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

aK13
07-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Looks like the ever-so-retarded "cap for a free card" play.

I might check the river to induce a bluff, as it really does seem like he's on the flush draw when he checks the turn, and I really want to see a showdown.

pryor15
07-08-2005, 05:14 AM
if he doesn't cap a draw, why aren't we betting the turn?

if you felt your TPTK was good enough to 3-bet the flop (i.e. you don't have him on 45), then the 4 couldn't have helped him all that much (i'm assuming he wouldn't cap a gutshot w/ a 5), so why don't we bet the turn and give him a chance to fold his smaller Ace? if he raises the turn, well, then we may be looking at 2-pair or a set.

McGahee
07-08-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the ever-so-retarded "cap for a free card" play.

I might check the river to induce a bluff, as it really does seem like he's on the flush draw when he checks the turn, and I really want to see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

imported_The Vibesman
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I'd check/call the river as well as the turn, other than that I play it the same. On the flop I would put him on a weaker ace until he capped, at which point I'd have to give him credit for something better than that, unless he's the type to cap a flush draw, which you say he isn't.