PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else do this? (semi-poker content)

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 04:33 AM
every time i make a preflop raise, speculative or legit, online or live, in LP (CO, MP2 or 3) i look left and pray for those between me and the button to fold. if they clear out I know it will be a good hand.

fim

Malachii
07-08-2005, 04:38 AM
No, but if you enjoy the challenge of playing hands out of position, more power to you.

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but if you enjoy the challenge of playing hands out of position, more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

wha wha?

Malachii
07-08-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm assuming you're also praying for the button to call you. I thought that's what you were implying in your op.

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 04:43 AM
serious question: are you a native speaker of english?

i ask that because i think my post makes it fairly clear that i want everyone who has position on me to fold and everyone i have position on to call, no?

fim

Malachii
07-08-2005, 04:47 AM
"i look left and pray for those between me and the button to fold. "

Yes, I am a native speaker. And if you're hoping to be in position throughout the hand, then I think anyone would agree with you.

BZ_Zorro
07-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Nope, I like playing hands OOP. Your raises and bets get far more respect. You can also pull moves like check raises or bet-push with good hands. Much more interesting.

Position is everything in limit and tournaments, in NL I think it is massively overrated.

{edit} make that online small stakes no limit. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuzzbox
07-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Oh god yes - and I hope they dont smell the fear.

soah
07-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Wow.

fimbulwinter
07-08-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, I like playing hands OOP. Your raises and bets get far more respect. You can also pull moves like check raises or bet-push with good hands. Much more interesting.

Position is everything in limit and tournaments, in NL I think it is massively overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow this is not a response i expected to hear. interesting.

this however:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is massively wrong.

fim

pilamsolo
07-08-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Solo

DoomSlice
07-08-2005, 07:08 AM
When you say "between", you probably should specify whether or not that between is inclusive.

wtfsvi
07-08-2005, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't say I pray, but I certainly hope. At least when I don't hold AA (then I'm praying for a raise obviously, but I think I'll take a call over a fold too).

Unless button is the "Call with any two preflop and fold the flop if he doesn't hit top pair or a reasonable draw.-type" I love those people.

xorbie
07-08-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I used to think I understood position. Being LAG that I was, I just hated having to check because it "shows weakness." I liked when others checked, because I got to bet and they were more likely to fold. But really a lot of that is solved with some liberal check raising. There's much more to position, and it's really important in any hand you want to take to showdown. OOP, you simply cannot control the price for the next card, the price to see showdown or pot size nearly as well as you can, which means you end up paying others off more often and getting paid off less often on any hand that does go to showdown.

jkkkk
07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
every time i make a preflop raise, speculative or legit, online or live, in LP (CO, MP2 or 3) i look left and pray for those between me and the button to fold. if they clear out I know it will be a good hand.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, especially since i'm playing a lot of weak-tights lately, stealing flops is essential.

amoeba
07-08-2005, 10:51 AM
yup.

but I don't raise nearly as often as you do in mp2, or mp3.

Voltron87
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is just awful

NYCNative
07-08-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow this is not a response i expected to hear. interesting.

this however:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is massively wrong.

fim

[/ QUOTE ] http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10106000/10106736.jpg

BZ_Zorro
07-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

-Mark Twain.

Sephus
07-08-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

-Mark Twain.

[/ QUOTE ]

not appropriate.

BZ_Zorro
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
How is this quote not appropriate?

People fall over themselves defending a concept that is only relevant to live games, high stakes, or short handed. Probably because they read it in a book somewhere by Brunson or Sklansky and it's been drummed into their heads. It's 'cool' to chat about one of the three P's.

Having position on someone doesn't really mean that much at 10 handed small stakes. Unless you're trying to get fancy with a hand like middle pair, you can play a hand equally well and equally profitability with or without position imo. You can also steal more effectively in EP if you're willing to push a bit harder. Position is certainly nothing to make 'OMG is position good or what!' posts about.

Over 11K hands 10-handed my profit is equally spread between all positions, with a little less in the SB.

jkkkk
07-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Ok I was going to leave this alone but..

[ QUOTE ]
You can also steal more effectively in EP if you're willing to push a bit harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking, right?

sourbeaver
07-08-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God just killed a kitten. Are you happy now ?

BZ_Zorro
07-08-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God just killed a kitten. Are you happy now ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. It was a dumb thread and I was bored. Sue me.