PDA

View Full Version : In need of an exit strategy. Please help.

damn_river
07-08-2005, 02:57 AM
5 players, 100 NL, $.5/$1, agressive, semi-loose game

on the button with ~$114 and aa. with one limper, i raise to $4. sb (has $164) raises to $6.5. folds back to me. i raise to $40. sb calls. flop is Ts 3c Ks. sb goes all in.
call or fold?
dR

xorbie
07-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Ouch. FWIW I think you are splitting somewhat often here.

damn_river
07-08-2005, 03:42 AM
first of all, thanks for ur comment. So u are saying i should call?
dR

xorbie
07-08-2005, 03:44 AM
I'm sure given that you posted it that he had KK. But think about it this way. He could be a donk with AK. He could have AA. He could be trying to push out AA with QQ. I probably call just because he's making a mistake on the hand by calling the raise to $40.

damn_river
07-08-2005, 03:48 AM
u got it all right. he had kk, i called. the mistake was made by him though by calling the $40 raise in the first place though, huh. thanks a lot. I'm assumming he would've been better off folding the KK preflop or reraising all in. If you were him, what would your play have been facing the reraise to $40?

dR

xorbie
07-08-2005, 03:59 AM
I think his call is fine against a random opponent, it's just obviously wrong against you (given that you probably usually have AA here).

damn_river
07-08-2005, 04:06 AM
ah, thanks again. i wish u all the pocket aces in the world.
dR

fuzzbox
07-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Call - its too strange a line for me to not pay KK off.

wtfsvi
07-08-2005, 07:08 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I probably call just because he's making a mistake on the hand by calling the raise to $40.

[/ QUOTE ] This is not a valid reason to call.

I actually fold this against most small stakes oponents. (The ones that won't reraise (especially min-reraise) preflop without AA-QQ, and won't push this flop with QQ. And don't pay attention to the fact that I fold more than more than them.)

xorbie
07-08-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably call just because he's making a mistake on the hand by calling the raise to $40.

[/ QUOTE ] This is not a valid reason to call.

I actually fold this against most small stakes oponents. (The ones that won't reraise (especially min-reraise) preflop without AA-QQ, and won't push this flop with QQ. And don't pay attention to the fact that I fold more than more than them.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that this isn't a valid reason. If you fold here, you're letting villain play the hand less poorly, because you are letting him push you off what could be the best hand just because a scare card flops. What if it's Q high and he open pushes? Once you put that $40 in on the flop you absofuckinglutely have got to put the rest in after. If he has KK, oh well. If he's calling that $40 knowing we have AA (which he must for his open push to make any sense) then he sucks enough to call that $40 with AK.

wtfsvi
07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
If he's calling that $40 knowing we have AA (which he must for his open push to make any sense) then he sucks enough to call that $40 with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
This, on the other hand, is a valid reason to call. But it's perfectly possible he thinks you might have AK, and his open push still makes just as much sense, allthough AA is more likely in terms of combinations after he's seen the flop.

I was a bit eager to make a point in my previous point by the way. Can't fold this against "most" villains. I can find a fold against some though.

subzero
07-08-2005, 09:59 AM
No reads? Uggh. If he has KK, you're a 7:1 dog. You're getting 2:1 on your call. I think you have to call. More than 1/3 of your stack is in, he could be making a play, and you have a slight chance to improve.

swolfe
07-08-2005, 10:24 AM
you're going to be heads up. don't put in the 3rd raise. call and trap him post-flop.

alternatively, if you're going to put in close to half your stack, i'd have just pushed.

punter11235
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
CALL.
You put almost 1/2 of your stack in the middle and AA is the best hand after the flop more often that 90% of the time. In my opinion folding here would make top 10 of the worst plays of the month.

Best wishes

steaknshake925
07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
huh? hero has put in about half his stack. this is a no-brainer. insta-call.

tripdad
07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
making it $40 to go when you are already heads up is bad. i'll make it $13 to go sometimes, and smooth call sometimes to trap, but i never want anyone to fold here.

you gotta call the all in bet on the flop here.

cheers!

soah
07-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Getting most of your stack in with the nuts is rarely bad.

savman
07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
instacall

Snag
07-08-2005, 05:28 PM
This looks like a pretty easy fold to me.

The situation: a.)You raise.
b.)Villain minraises (this very typically indicates I have a monster.)
c.) You reraise large (this shows - I have a bigger monster than yours, push - go ahead - I dare you.)
d.) Villain calls (I'm scared of your bigger monster, but I can stack you on a good flop.)
e.) Flop push? With no read - I fold. This screams TT or KK to me. A real moron would do this w/ AK or QQ/JJ - but I'm not willing to put in the rest of my stack with top pair.