PDA

View Full Version : Times to Play

imported_adhoc
07-08-2005, 02:20 AM
I had an interesting experience the other day playing poker continuously from the early evening until around 8 AM, watching all of the colorful characters at the Taj come together on five or six tables. My perception is that from around 3 am to 8 am you have three types of players: drunk recreational players who will get progressively drunker and more aggressive until they go bust, bored retirees who are not really playing poker but biding time until the morning busses arive, and guys who have been getting bad beats all night and want to hang on for dear life in order to make up their losses (and are consequently steaming). Granted, this is not much different from the usual mix, but it seemed to me to be amplified from the way things normally play out, and much more cutthroat on the whole. To mix things up further, players from the bigger games come down to the smaller stakes around this time to wait for their tables to start filling up again.

In retrospect, it struck me that these hours might actually be one of the best times to take advantages of various common mistakes, and therefore be one of the better times of day to play cards outside of the mid-afternoon. What do you guys think?

imported_adhoc
07-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Think about it. Money made playing poker is the result of the mistakes of one's opponents. So, why not choose to play at a time of day when people will be most likely to make mistakes, because they are either 1. steaming, 2. drunk, 3. tired, or 4. bored?

BoxTree
07-08-2005, 11:56 PM
There's nothing to think about here. It's a well-known fact that the best time to play is midnight to 6 AM. But do you really want to put yourself on that kind of schedule?

I do.

At Commerce.

One to five late nights per week.

imported_adhoc
07-09-2005, 02:21 AM
This is just something that occured to me, and confirming it is very valuable; thank you. What is the general consensus about what times are best and worst to play live?

Bremen
07-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Overnight the tables are definitly looser. Midafternoons at the Taj I've found to be populated by a bunch of rocks (most don't play well, but not people you'll make much off).

onegymrat
07-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi adhoc,

The worst times are probably weekday afternoons, when the weak-tight old men come out to play. I agree with you and Box about the graveyard shift. I used to do that myself...until I realized that I was one of the targets because I kept falling asleep and gettin stuck. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bremen
07-09-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
because I kept falling asleep and gettin stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be why you get up around 5PM (or later) if you plan on playing the graveyard shift. You can't take advantage of all the tired drunks if you're too tired yourself.

BoxTree
07-09-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because I kept falling asleep and gettin stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be why you get up around 5PM (or later) if you plan on playing the graveyard shift. You can't take advantage of all the tired drunks if you're too tired yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

imported_adhoc
07-18-2005, 02:59 AM
I reconfirmed my impressions about playing the "graveyard shift" the other day. What I was wondering now was, which days of the week are best to play at these times? I presume Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, (and any holiday) because of the higher traffic. Is this common sense or are there other times that are as profitable, or doesn't the day of the week matter much so long as the time of day is optimum?

imported_adhoc
07-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Maybe it's a stupid question, but I am still curious. The one about masks got answered!