PDA

View Full Version : Screwy marginal hand out of the blind.

TRWIII
07-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Noble poker so no pretty converter.

Ive seen villain in a grand total of 8 hands.

I get J2o in the BB, UTG+2 limps, folded to me and I check.

Flop is 4 8 2 rainbow.

I bet /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Largely assuming this flop didnt hit him at all, and seeing if I could take it right here. He calls. I think its pretty safe to put him on mediocre overs here.

Turn: (4 8 2) 4 completing the rainbow.

I bet again with my pair of deuces figuring I actually have the best hand /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. He calls.

River (4 8 2 4) 3

Hero does what??

I bet, and was raised. I for the life of me cant figure out how that river did anything for the villain. Assuming you bet the river, its a pretty clear fold to the raise, right? Or do you think an unknown bluff raises here often enough with overs to make a call profitable?

I think I know the answer to that, and I think I shouldve check called the river to try to induce a bluff, but Id like input on it anyways, as this was a strange hand top to bottom, and these kind of heads up river decisions give me fits.

TRWIII

damaniac
07-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Don't bet the river. Check/call or check/fold, depending on the opponent.

blatz
07-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I used to keep a sticky on my monitor that said "What is he calling on the river that you beat?"

I would definitely check/call here. And even with that, I would not be surprised to lose.

cjhellm
07-08-2005, 02:36 AM
you have to check this river. he's not folding any better hands or calling with any worse ones.

squeek12
07-08-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you have to check this river. he's not folding any better hands or calling with any worse ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

TRWIII
07-08-2005, 03:21 AM
I was reasonably sure the river bet was mistake when I made it, although at Noble it wouldnt have totally surprised me for him to call with unimproved overs (Ive seen that a surprising amount in the week or two Ive played there). I hate to admit this, but I did something I very seldom do: I called out of sheer curiosity /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Villain turned over A5 offsuit for the rivered wheel /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. That was about the last thing I figured him for.

TRWIII