PDA

View Full Version : Sweet - another mp3 player thread

FatOtt
07-08-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new mp3 player in the 20-40 gb range and I'm curious about one feature that I think I wouldn't be able to live without: an ID3 database. It seems that there are two types of mp3 players in terms of organizing music. One type (e.g., Creative Zen) has a database of ID3 information, so you can sort by song, genre, etc. The other type uses a folder-type structure, so you navigate to songs like you would in Windows. If you want to find Sk8r Boi, you just cruise through Avril Lavigne->Let Go->Sk8r Boi, assuming that's how you set up your folders.

I'm used to the ID3 database setup and I can't imagine having the folder-type player. The biggest problem that I see is when I'm looking for a song that I have on a compilation CD. Say I want to hear Peter Schilling sing "Major Tom (Coming Home)". On my Creative, I can just choose Artist - Peter Schilling. On a folder-type player, I'd have to remember that the song is on a CD called Living in Oblivion The 80's Greatest Hits - Volume 5, which seems pretty unreasonable.

I note that a highly-recommended player **cough**popular among rocket scientists**cough** seems to be organized by folders. That's the one I'd get, but this folder business seems like a deal breaker.

So does anyone have a player that is organized by folders? Is this a big deal?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002JAWP2.01-A2SZ6RJGR6A085.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

captZEEbo1
07-08-2005, 01:30 AM
I'd rather have one organized by folders, b/c that's how I organize my music and I don't have all proper ID3 tags. But alas, I got my ipod for free, so I have to deal with the ID3 tag crap. I also mostly listen to albums and don't really listen to single tracks very often.

somethingstupid
07-09-2005, 03:07 AM
super

Jack of Arcades
07-09-2005, 03:09 AM
I much prefer it to be organized by folders, because then it's in whatever structure you want it to be.

Plus, with over 300 artists, it's a bit of a pain to scroll that much.

Monkeyslacks
07-09-2005, 04:04 AM
Stick it in her pooper!

raisethatmofo
07-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Only 12 year old punks with fat fingers and grubby hands own MP3 players. Is that you ?