PDA

View Full Version : Laying Down QQ Preflop

stu55
07-08-2005, 12:39 AM
I was playing in an $11 today and came across this odd situation, well, odd or me still fixing leaks. I am UTG and raise $120 with QQ in a 15/30BB level. Another person (I think MP1) reraises $400. This is the first place I think I messed up, I think I should have folded here, but my thinking is only 2 other hands beat me. Then the flop comes all rags with a flush draw, I bet 200, he rams, so I call, go into KK and lose. I told myself I should have folded there, but I see no reason to cause of my great hand, slim chance of them holding. I think the correct play is lay down, but I dont see any fault in auto-calling. What do I do?

lastchance
07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Push preflop. QQ is way too good way too much of the time. At least on Party.

How deep are your stacks? I still reraise preflop BTW.

stu55
07-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, but it was like I knew I was a 3 to 1 dog anyway...kinda like the Force, but for poker.

lastchance
07-08-2005, 12:47 AM
You don't have psychic powers. The Force may be strong with you but you are not a Jedi yet. For the wisest of Jedi would realize that they're opponents will show lame hands, and you will be favored over these lame hands. A Jedi is content when he gets his chips in with the worst of it here for he knows that he will be a favorite next time the cards are turned over.

Man, that was fun. Rofl. Unless you really are a Jedi, please push back preflop.

AceofSpades
07-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Just a minute ago, a few hands into a party $22.
I have QQ, one person min raises to 60, I reraise to 200, guy behind me reraises to 535. First guy goes all in. I say what the heck and push. Guy behind me calls.

JJ vs QQ vs A9

I win /images/graemlins/cool.gif

hobbes9324
07-08-2005, 01:29 AM
What he said.....

On PP at this level, if you push QQ a hundred times, you'll be ahead of the callers you get WAY more than 50%....in the long run you'll be many chips ahead.

raptor517
07-08-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing in an $11 today and came across this odd situation, well, odd or me still fixing leaks. I am UTG and raise $120 with QQ in a 15/30BB level. Another person (I think MP1) reraises $400. This is the first place I think I messed up, I think I should have folded here, but my thinking is only 2 other hands beat me. Then the flop comes all rags with a flush draw, I bet 200, he rams, so I call, go into KK and lose. I told myself I should have folded there, but I see no reason to cause of my great hand, slim chance of them holding. I think the correct play is lay down, but I dont see any fault in auto-calling. What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

in a 10+1, i will NEVER fold QQ preflop. EVER. holla

Wes ManTooth
07-08-2005, 01:40 AM
next time don't tell results in your first post.

tjh
07-08-2005, 02:17 AM
I pushed QQ all-in as big stack in a live tourney tonight only to face KK from the min raiser that I pushed into. The loss had me feeling foolish but this guy may have been playing anything. As I drove home I did the math.

Pushing with QQ what do you have to fear ?
Aces and Kings.
There are only 8 of them, you have seen two cards so
8/50 * 7/49 = .022 or so.
So two percent of the time you will be facing some combination of aces and Kings.
AK = You are slight favorite.
AA = You are underdog.
KK = You are underdog.

So what happened to me and to you will happen once out of 50 hands or so. Actually less because I added Big slick to the hands to fear and you are ahead in the big slick showdown.

Your mistake in not pushing preflop is when K or A comes on the flop. Then a much larger range of hands are of concern.

Push those ladies.

--
tjh