PDA

View Full Version : Overcards: calculating their value in outs

DawnToDusk
07-08-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm reading though some of SSHE and am on the Counting Outs section. They authors say that you should discount overcards as full outs when they make a pair. For example if you hold Qh Jh and the board is 10h 6c 3s that you should only count your Q and J as 3 outs. This is becuase it is easy to beat one pair. But this doesn't seem like a legit excuse to me to discount them as outs. I see why they do it and it makes sense to me and I agree most the times. But what if you can be sure that if you hit a Q or J on the turn or river that it won't improve someone elses hand. What then? Can you count them as full outs?

It seems to me that discounting them just for the pure reason that it is easy to beat a lone pair isn't exactly legit to me.

Anyone have any suggestions on counting overcards as outs and how they do it?

TRWIII
07-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Sure its subjective. If youre reasonably certain your overcard outs will be good, then you dont need to discount them as much, if at all. But how often are you sure that one pair will be the boss? It happens, but not too terribly often, so I think discounting them is generally a good idea, but as everything in this game: it depends /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

TRWIII