PDA

View Full Version : John Smoltz

FeelGoodAboutHood
07-08-2005, 12:15 AM
If he gets to 200 wins, is he a HOF?

Jack of Arcades
07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Smoltz iz a lock at 200. I'm not so sure he wouldn't get in right now.

FeelGoodAboutHood
07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
I didn't think so until I started looking at the numbers, you may be right.

RacersEdge
07-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I didn't realize that he should hit the 2500 K mark his next start.

FeelGoodAboutHood
07-08-2005, 01:29 AM
It is pretty unbeleivable that this guy has flown under the radar as much as he has. Everyone thinks he's good, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I didn't think I'd be seeing him at Cooperstown.

mmbt0ne
07-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Playoff game 7. You get any active pitcher to start. Smoltz is easily top 5, probably top 3.

Vince Young
07-08-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playoff game 7. You get any active pitcher to start. Smoltz is easily top 5, probably top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

mmbt0ne
07-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Start looking up playoff records. Get back to me when you're done.

Rocket, Schilling, Smoltz. Those are the top 3.

nothumb
07-08-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is pretty unbeleivable that this guy has flown under the radar as much as he has. Everyone thinks he's good, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I didn't think I'd be seeing him at Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flown under what radar? You're not from the South. I grew up down there and everybody knows Smoltz pwns.

But take any decent pitcher and have him throw for Leo Mazzone for 15 years, you could end up with a HOF career. The man is a genius.

NT

FeelGoodAboutHood
07-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Definitely not from the South. I knew how good Smoltz was, I just didn't realize how good his numbers were. good point about Mazzone, if he can turn Jaret Wright into an Ace, I can only imagine what he can do for someone who actually knows how to pitch.

Jack of Arcades
07-08-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think so until I started looking at the numbers, you may be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I'd vote him, I'm saying what I think will happen.

FeelGoodAboutHood
07-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Interesting. Elaborate?

Jack of Arcades
07-08-2005, 03:30 AM
Beyond his very good career (I'd put him just outside right now), there's going to be a very big push to have all of the big three in the HOF. Plus, he's part of the 150/150 club which includes him and, uh, Eck.

If he continues pwning for another year after this I'll be convinced.

BTW, when you factor in his post-season numbers he has a 3.21 ERA in 3024 innings. Not too shabby...

Jack of Arcades
07-08-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Start looking up playoff records. Get back to me when you're done.

Rocket, Schilling, Smoltz. Those are the top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're looking at data that doesn't necessarily answer your question. You're asking "which active pitchers would be the best choice for a big game?" and the data answers the question "which active pitcher has pitched the best in big games?"

Now, there's obviously some overlap there, but you'd be foolish to ignore regular season performance, or, even, weight post-season performance equally with recent regular season performance.

1 is Rocket, and 2 is Pedro. Schilling's hurt and we have no idea if he'll get back to his dominance, so he's out.

After that, you have a myriad of guys like Johan, Smoltz, Halladay, Beckett, Pettite, Morris, Penny, Oswalt.. guys who are established excellent and would all probably be very close. I guess you could give the nod to Smoltz due to his postseason performance...

mmbt0ne
07-08-2005, 03:52 AM
You're right. I was assuming a lot of things I shouldn't have been, and doing it to some players but not others. A bit overzealous in trying to make a point maybe /images/graemlins/wink.gif