PDA

View Full Version : Variance in single table tournaments

cferejohn
02-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Has anyone done a study (or even have an opinion) about variance in single-table tournaments? I've been playing the single-table limit tournaments on party poker and out of the 7 I've played so far, I've won 3 (50% of the pot) and placed 3rd once (20% of the pot). I know that I have been to some degree lucky, but I feel like I can consistantly get into the top 5 in these just by not being too aggressive in the early stages (which also serves to make my bluff/semi-bluff raises when shorthanded look scarier). Anyway, with 3 players out of 10 making money, would you expect the variance to be higher or lower (or the same) as a 10 handed ring game? I feel in general I play better in the low-buy in tournaments (these have been $10+1 and $30+3), especially in the late stages when what I perceive as low limit players get into situations where buying the blinds is very important and don't adjust sufficiently.

Bozeman
02-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I posted one in a thread about someone's tourney losing streak a couple of months ago. Variance is actually not too high (lower than most ring games, as I recall).

Craig